Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone jumped any birds this year?? I havent heard a good report yet from anywhere. I would really like to get my old dog out for something other than excersize.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
The Okla Dept of Wildlife did their annual quail surveys, and reported the worst year in 22 years.
The intense heat from the drought likely killed the juvenile quail.
From the report, they said that young quail and quail in general can take 106 heat for a day or two, but sustained temps reaching to 112 in some areas for days on end resulted in a die off.

Suprisingly enough I'm seeing a few more pheasant than last year. Last year sucked really bad.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pheasant?? Really? We canceled our annual trip to guymon after talking to the land owner. He said numbers were terrible at best.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Pheasant?? Really? We canceled our annual trip to guymon after talking to the land owner. He said numbers were terrible at best.
My cousin just got back from a 4 day hunt in SW Kansas, and said they only killed two pheasant.

I'm thinking on my part, its a local thing, as the pond I repaired early this year in March, that had been washed out three years ago, has been full, and ran over a couple of times during the drought. Ponds two miles away were still dry.

It was just weird how the rain would only hit this one local area, leaving areas close by without any rain.
I've been told that the only place in Ks that had birds is the South Central, and eastern parts of the state. They got rain all summer long.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Buddy of mine in Tyron Ok said the quail and phesants are in bad shape this year. He spoke with some of the wardens and they were contemplating cancelling pheasant season.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Jumped a small covey about a week ago.
They just seem to be in low numbers again this year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts