Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
I'm nowhere near Waurika, but I jump a covey or 2 occasionally here in Okemah. I haven't seen many birds in a couple of years, but about 4 or 5 years ago, I had 2 large coveys on my land, each containing around a dozen or more birds. I still hear them, but aren't seeing as many.

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
Haven't been out in that area, so no help here.

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts
While dove hunting down around Apache and Carnagie(sp) area I could hear them in the trees and brush. Not sure how many in all but a few was in the area. Thats as close to Waurika as I been.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
I haven't seen a quail in over 4 years around Waurika.
Use to shot at a few coveys come out from ducking in the morning.
Woodcock #'s have been good.

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
Go to wildlifedepartment.com and get the phone number of the area biologist, or the GW and ask them how the quail count came out in their area. Its spotty this year from what I've heard.

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
That would be a heck of a day in the field! ;D

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
From what I'm seeing in NC Ok, Gunner is going to have an easy bird season. Just not seeing any birds. One or two pheasant on occasion and no quail so far.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not so much looking for them or seeing them. I have heard a good number of coveys waking up in the morning and coveying up in the evenings as I am sitting in the stand. It seems like more so than recent years. I am hunting in NW Oklahoma. Lots of my hunting is in the vicinity of packsaddle. Lots and lots and lots of oil field activity in that general area right now

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i heard there ar some down there but i will be going to packsattle on opening day.
i need a lot of room for my little gsp to run

Room is not a problem, we have 30,000 acres to run on, I don't consider all 30,000 as quail huntable, but alot of it is. I just hope there are some birds that carried over from last year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.