Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday my family an went to Wewoka for a funeral and it was a very nice service till we went to the cemetery for the laying of the casket. We get there and immediately most of the family members get out and start running around and looking around. We ask our friend who's grandmother had passed what was going on. They dug the wrong grave site she told us. She was to be laid to rest next to her husband and his site was on the other side of the cemetery. The funeral director contacted the management with the issue. So here we all are (about 100) people in the rain and wind expecting to continue the service and can't. They called on the grounds keeper and they started digging the correct plot. While we all waited in our cars for about an hour for them to move everything over and get the site set back up a fork lift shows up. They attempt to hook straps up to the casket and was going to carry it across the cemetery by forklift even though the Hurst was still right there. Several of the family members went ballistic (I would have too) and all but threw themselves on the casket. The casket was placed back in the Hurst and driven over to the propper plot.
After about an hour and a half we was able to continue the service and properly lay her to rest.
I have been to more funerals than I'd like and have never seen such a thing happen much less heard of it happening. My wife and I felt so bad for our friends family. How do you even apologize for something like that.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I was a pallbearer for my neighbor a couple of years ago and this same thing happened. My neighbor had requested to be delivered to the site in the back of a wagon. So the last ride he had on earth was spent in the back of an old wagon pulled by a team of mules. Myself and the other 5 bearers followed the wagon on horseback. Everything was really nice until we got to the cemetary and discovered the grave was dug in the WRONG site. I thought the funeral home handled it in as good a fashion as possible. We placed the casket over the grave and had all the services. After everyone was gone from the grave yard the crew dug the grave in the right place and moved the casket. It saved all the waiting and turmoil.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Damm! That cemetary needs a lesson in how to run a funeral!

·
Super Moderator
10,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My wife talked to her friend sense I first wrote this to see how she's doing and they were told they will not be charged for the cemetery work. That's a big big chunk of change back in the pocket. But the site originally dug had a head stone with the name Smith with no passing date engraved on it, so it was a same name mix up. I told my wife what would have happened if a casket had already been berried in that plot. I know things can go wrong but to almost Berry someones loved one in the wrong plot is bad for such a profession.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts