Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have recommendations on ATV service/repair shops in or around the OKC area? Was trying to avoid a dealership only on the premise they'd be much more expensive than an individual similar to a car/pickup. I have a 2011 Yamaha Grizzly 550 with a power steering code and check engine light on the display. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
10,661 Posts
Only shop I know of is on Sunnylane next to Gun World and across from the cemetery. I know they sell a lot of motorcycles, ATV & UTVs.

·
Super Moderator
10,661 Posts
Thanks Bullbuster - at least a start for my research!
They may be able to point you in the right direction if they can’t help you. I went in the shop a couple times. Lots of toys to drool over for sure.

·
Administrator
13,740 Posts
I’m not from that area, but we do have a top notch shop in Ponca City.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! As much as I'd like a trip down memory lane Dennis, I'll skip on the trip to Ponca. I called a couple of places yesterday and the first was 5-6 weeks out and the next at least 2 weeks so ended up taking to Maxey's in OKC. You know the outcome isn't going to be good when you sign the work order and see all labor costs are $130/hour!!

·
Super Moderator
10,661 Posts
Thanks guys! As much as I'd like a trip down memory lane Dennis, I'll skip on the trip to Ponca. I called a couple of places yesterday and the first was 5-6 weeks out and the next at least 2 weeks so ended up taking to Maxey's in OKC. You know the outcome isn't going to be good when you sign the work order and see all labor costs are $130/hour!!
Goodness gracious that’s insane! A&P mechanics and underwater welders make les than that.

·
Administrator
13,740 Posts
The shop here in Ponca would likely be 2 weeks or so out as well.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I know its to late, but in the future. Theres a shop just North of Country Eqpt. at 89/I35. We have used him several times to work on our Ranger and he is cheaper than Country Eqpt where we bought it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Smokewagon. Not looking forward to my bill from Maxey's! Will keep that in mind should I need work in the future. At $130/hour, I may go to a small engine repair class and fix it myself.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Have you done an internet search on the code to see what it'd take to fix? It might be something fairly easy and inexpensive and I'd bet there is a video on Youtube that'd show how to do the fix. Also, Sehorn Yamaha in Shawnee has a great service dept.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bird, yes, I looked up the code online and was a couple of possible things. This ATV has electronic power steering and one code was for it, check engine light was on and speedometer didn't work. Tech says likely all around the speedometer sensor. I'm sure once I get my bill that if there's a next time then it'll be done at home or another shop. I'll keep Sehorn in Shawnee on my list. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Let me tag onto the discussion....I have an older Kawasaki Mule. Been thinking about running it in for a tune up. I have been looking at Mid American Cycle Just south of I-35 and Waterloo, any feed back good or bad on them?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, just got my ATV back from Maxey's. It was the speed sensor just like the tech told me he thought it was when I brought it in. BUT, they still charged me a 1 hour diagnostic of $130. Half hour labor to fix $65. Part $105. Misc crap(shop supplies), shipping and handling(not sure why not included in cost of part) and tax. Total $327.76. Won't be going back there anytime soon. I honestly wanted to ask if they pay their techs even $30/hour, what happens to the other $100/hour? Ridiculous if you ask me but I do understand economics and supply/demand.

DD - no input on Mid American Cycle.

·
Administrator
13,740 Posts
At least you got it back in running condition. It sucks to pay those fees, but like you said, they do have to keep the door open.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts