Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After being gone for over 20 years (military) I returned to Ok in 2007, this will be the first year that I have been able to hunt due to medical reasons, I have picked up a mossberg .308 for general use and will be picking up a .243 for my son (13) and daughter (14) they both have cricket .22 currently and know the basics and are fair shots. I also am in the works of getting a Browning Safari .300 for pig (wife wanted me to get something I can reach out and hit them with from a "safe" distance due to issues with my ankle) we will be getting her either a colt or sig ar-15 type light weight and no kick for general use ( mostly hitting paper and maybe some smaller game she is not into hunting much but enjoys the spoils..) I will most likely start with WMA lands until I can locate and talk with various land owners. I am working on getting all the paperwork together to get the Disabled Vet Lifetime combo hope to get it this year if not will get it at the start of next. Looking forward to getting back into it and introducing the kids to hunting also.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Welcome to the forum! We have several Vets on board, and some active duty.
Sounds like you've put some thought into the gun selections you've decided to buy. Good choices in my opinion.
Browse through the forums, and if you see anything that needs a comment, post away! :D

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
catfish...Welcome to Oklahoma Hunter.
We look forward to hearing from ya in the forums.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Welcome back. And thank you sir for your service.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Welcome to the site Catfish, and thank you for serving your country. You retired or still in and what branch?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Welcome aborad. Glad to have you here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Never really sure on how to answer back to the Thanks for your service, I enjoyed my time in got to see alot of diffrent places and got a lot of good training. I retired at the end of may 2008 and started working as a civilian (are we ever really "out" of the military?) Bird, I started in the Army as a13B cannoneer crewman in june of 86 then switched over to the Navy as a DP (Data Proccessor) in May of 88 with job title changed I retired as an IT1 (Informations Systems Tech) in May 08 almost had to do a medical retirement ended up with Necrotizing Facititus (flesh eating Bactieria ) that I picked up overseas while working with the SeaBees, destroyed most of my left ankle but kept my foot along with some great scars. I did hunt mostly small game around Pauls Valley years ago and Bow hunting for hogs down by Texarkana area. Can not get out of thier way now due to ankle problems so hand to switch over to rifles. I did a lot of research for both myself and what to get the kids to get them started.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Ah 13B, were you the fuze lighter or the cannon cocker? I started out 67N Huey crewchief for eight years.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bird, I did both, I was living in Ok (Pauls Valley) at the time wanted to see the world.. went to Ft. Sill for basic, then AIT at Ft. Sill then my first post after AIT was... FT. Sill, training new soldiers in Field Artiliery the only time I left was a 6 month tour in Honduras, I also did some tank driving then got asigned as a driver so got my military licenese for everything the Army owned that had weels or tracks our yard boss was along the lines of if it comes here you will know how to drive it. hence the reason for changiing services.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Know all about that changing services bit, started out Army & Army Guard (Hueys), then went Navy reserve (C-9) and finally ended up with the Air Guard as a loadmaster on C130's. Everytime I switched it cost me 2yrs to wait for the next stripe, stayed an E5 for 11 yrs.

·
Vendor
171 Posts
Catfish, if you will send me your service/injury info and short autobiography, I will see if I can help get you back into hunting. We have some hunts we put on for PVA members. No guarantees, but we may be able to get your name in the hat for a deer hunt this fall. Just send it to [email protected] and please put 'PVA Hunts' in the message title. Thanks for your service!

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
Welcome to the forum cattfish. Sorry to hear about you being prier Army. At least you moved up to the Navy. I just got sent home (Thanks Obama I didn't really want to retire anyway) back in Oct myself after 14 years active Navy. Doing the Air Force reserve thing (so I can retire) but on active orders up here in Wichita, KS for a few months. Stick around this forum is good on info.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
USFWC, I got lucky with my "disability" considering what could have happened. I know all over the news is the story Aimee Copeland, That is what I had, main injury site was the left ankle damaged tendons, legiments cartlege and mucle which makes standing or walking for long periods of time difficult and slows me down not able to run or jog but it will not stop me. It happened in Novemeber of 2007 and I retired in May of 08 ended up with 10% disability from the VA based on scars but it was enough to get my foot in the door (pun inteneded) for when I start to have major problems with it later in life. I have some photos from after surgery during wound care and final healing the first were taken in early December the last ones were 1st of may. Had to heal from the inside out. if you are eating or have a weak stomach I suggest not looking. http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2980196690101170085rPHXlB As for now I plan on working and enjoyin life with family doing the thing I enjoyed when younger and introducing the kids to the joys of fishing and hunting. I am deffinatly not the poor me type and constanly have the wife getting on to me "you should not be doing that" or "you can not do..." ect... but then again anytime someone told me i could not do something I had to prove them wrong. I have some possibilities for some hog hunts in Roosevelt a co-worker has some friends that own a ranch and are having hog problems. And have some possible deer hunts lined up this winter. Thanks for the offer on the PVA Hunts but I think I will pass there are folks out there in worse shape than me that deserve it more and I ywould not want to possibly take one of thier spots.
Bullbuster, we all have to live and learn just takes some of us a little longer (and to become sober.. oh the younger days)

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
OUCH! Your lucky to have kept your leg.
Did it come on quick, or did it take awhile, as you thought it started out as a sore that just wouldn't heal?

My son that lives in Dallas got it last year.
It was isolated to a small area on his knee because he caught it early. He works out daily at a gym, and the guy spotting for him was a MD, that recognised it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was walking and stepped wrong and had a slight twist to the ankle on a thursday (the kind you just say owch and keep going), the following saturday it started hurting more and swelling went to the ER they could not find anything wrong, followed up with the Docs on Tinker and finally a nursing assistance looked at it the following friday and sent me out in town, they put me in the hostpital got me on major anti-biotics got then the following monday operated the first time, the secont was wednesday morning (day before thanksgiving) with them having me sign papers saying that it was ok to take the leg if the surgery did not stop it. Accouding to the CDC Docs I could have picked it up in Pakastan, Iraq or Gulfport (Katrina aftermath) and it could have lay dormant until the sprain. May of last year I had a bout of "cellulitis" ( their way of saying you got something, but we do not know what it is) in the same ankle had me in the hostpital for about 5 days, something I will be suseptible to both time I did not have any apperent broken skin so it was all internal untill they cut on it.

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
Well glad you are healing up as good as good can be right now. Your right on the growing up part. 19 and 2 year orders in Guam. Wasn't a drink I passed up on only passed out on. But that was 12 years ago and never looked back. Got my eye on that retirement check.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Meet my wife (Navy also) in Guam both kids were born there, oldest is 14 that was about the time I fully quit, still have a drink now an then but they are few an far between can not remember the last time I was tipsy much less actually drunk. I do not hold it against anyone if they want to lay one on but it is not for me any more.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
It was quick with my son as well. The Dr's took a bunch of meat in the area, but the plastic surgery later on did really well. As he told me, most people carry it in some form. It lays there waiting to start. Scary stuff.
I was in Guam for a short period in the early 70's. We were installing satellite systems to replace the short wave radios, and undersea cables. Amazing to watch the B52's take off with a full bomb load, headed to North Vietnam.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Have you resubmitted your claim to the VA? You deserve a heck of lot more that 10%, espically if it's going to be something that is going to be there for a while and could cost you a limb!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts