Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as you can let I'm from MI not down here in OK. So hows the bass fishing? It's fair in MI but the fish aren't that large. I have a 6.5 lbs Large Mouth I cough about 4 years ago. And that was 1 lbs from the state record as far as I've been told..

So what's it like down in your neck of the woods?

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Nick, 1st off welcome to OK Hunter.

We have some the best bass fisheries here in s.w. Oklahoma.
Just right down below my house on the creek bottom offer up 10 pounder's from time to time.
My biggest so far out of the creek is a 14.2 largemouth bass.
I have caught over five 10+ pounder's out of this creek in the last 4 years.

Not to mention the 3 lakes close to the house that offer up great bass fishing as well.

Look forward to talking with ya about Hawg Bass Fishing.

·
Administrator
14,063 Posts
Up in the northern part of the state, we can't support the florida hybrid specie that does real well from the central part of the state and south. Our weather is just too cold. We fish for the northern specie like you have.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very cool.

Bass fishing has and will always be my favorite to go after. And seeing as you guys do have some lunkers down there and I also have several friends in OK. Might even have more reason to take a trip down that way..

Funny thing about Bass fishing, my wife (very knowledgeable on Fishing) wanted me a few years back to go on tour Bass Fishing. If I had only had a boat..

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
And don't forget farm ponds as well. Lots of them have some hawgs in them and you don't need a boat, or use a float tube.

·
Administrator
14,063 Posts
Beautiful fish and mount bird! What did it weigh?

Tube fishing is fun. I did learn a lesson a couple of years ago when fishing a pond. A water snake came across the pond, and was heading in my direction. When he got close I swatted it with my rod tip, and he dissapeared.
About 2 seconds later, I had a 4' scared water snake out of the water and in the tube with me! :eek: :eek:
I got him by the head, and held him until I could paddle to shore where he was released. Then I got out of the water and cleaned out my undies :-[ :-[
Later when talking to some guys that fish in tube tournaments they told me to never swat one as that makes them panic and want to get out of the water. They said to just use your rod tip and gently move the snake away from you without scaring it. I went one step further and bought a cheap Davis derringer in .38 S&W to shoot them with birdshot. ;) ;)

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
I like that method of riding unwanted water snakes their ,Dennis. ;D

·
Vendor
511 Posts
The only good snake is a dead snake. I can remember one time on a training drill when I was doing underwater recovery. My tender told me to surface where I was at. I happened to look up and thank god we had some visablity that day for directly above me maybe 20 feet or so was a breeding ball full of I believe cottonmouths but I am not for sure. Needless to say I dumped the air in my bc and came out a different way. If I had not looked up at that time I would not be typing this now.

Michael

btw guys great looking fish. I don't bass fish myself I prefere to go after something a little bigger. I love to go fishing for those blues. Reeling in a 50# catfish is something like no other.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Dennis, that fish weighed 5lbs! It's 27.5" long 18" girth. At the time those measurements were an inch better than the state record 12 something pounder. I think this one was really old and had a broken back or something. As you looked lenght wise along the top of the fish, she had a "C" shaped curve right behind the gills. No telling what she weighed while healthy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts