Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<blockquote>last year I picked up the CWS Parka with some Christmas Money. I needed a new coat and something that would keep me dry in the cold rain we typically get. After several days of reading reviews I decided on the Red Head Cold Weather System gear. $140 was painful to spend even though 75 of it was on gift cards. First use of the parka was up in Woodward County during Holiday Antlerless. Obviously it was to cold for the deer but I didn't know it. 8 degrees was cold but my core stayed warm.

the next weekend I was in Colorado City, TX in a tripod stand in 30 degree weather with 25 mph winds hog hunting. I turned my back to the wind and was no longer concerned with the wind. the windproof claim is very accurate.

Yesterday I picked up the CWS Bibs I knew I was going to get wet. My current bibs are not waterproof and adding my lightweight rain gear over the bibs wouldn't work. Some of the reviews said they were not waterproof. I spent over 30 minutes on my knees in the rain gutting a deer this morning. When I got back in the truck the only thing wet was the last 6" of my jeans. they poked out the bottom of the bibs about an inch or so while I was on the ground.

Dry and warm. The bonus in the end was getting in the truck after huffing and puffing to get the deer loaded. usually I'd start ripping off the insulated layers to cool off. No need. The breathable feature works. I can't explain how you can be kept warm and not over heat once back in the heated truck. But it works.

If you want a good set of insulated, windproof and waterproof gear. Check out the Cold Weather System from Bass Pro. </blockquote>

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Great review! Nothing says it better than somebody that has been there and done it.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
That has to be the 1st good review, I ever heard on Red Head gear from Bass Pro Shops.
I went through 10 pairs of their waders in one season & have a pair of their rubber boots in the closet that didn't even last one outing.
Never again.
Cabela's gear and only Cabela's gear.

Good to hear you got something worth the money from Bass Pro Shops Red Head gear.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
I have the 18" redhead rubber boots with 800 grams of thinsulate that zip up the side. First pair lasted 4 years, and this pair is going on its third. Wore them at -25 in the snow on my elk hunt last jan. Also bought a pair of the 14" 600 gram upland boots that also zip up the side. They have lots of miles on them with no problems. I love the zip up feature they put on their boots. Easy on, easy off.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had my doubts about the gear. Several of the reviews said it did everything but keep them dry. other said they got one season out of the bibs before they had to replace them.

I've used the liner out of the parka several times this year since it got cold. Not once have I pulled the sleeves to make it a vest. warm and not to bulky by itself. Add the shell and it gets a bit bulky. not to much as to preventing me from shooting a bow but enough to probably worry about string contact.

I have almost 250 invested in the parka and bibs. If they didn't have the guaranty I wouldn't have spent the money on them. I kept the receipt for the bibs just incase I got wet. Had I pulled the bibs off to reveal wet jeans my first stop after dropping the deer at Terry's would have been to Bass Pro to return the soaked bibs and get my money back.

There are two draw backs with the bib design. chest pocket(or lack there of) and leg zippers. If I'm wearing overalls I use the chest pocket. unless I have a shirt on that has chest pockets. Cell phone and flashlight get stuck in them or range finder if I'm bow hunting. The leg zippers stop short due to the thigh positioned cargo pockets. Not a problem if you don't mind taking your boots off to put the bibs one. However, due to the breathability of the material I did a 2 hour truck ride with them on and didn't overheat. just an observation.

I plan on getting back out a few more times this year. Mid Jan in West Texas. Perfect sport to put the windproof feature to test. I'll probably get out one or two more times with the bow. Just more chances to test out this gear.

In House brands are hit or miss. I got a definate hit on these two products.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts