Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came back from deer camp yesterday. On opening morning at 1055hrs. Here he came. Didnt think I was going to get a shot. He went up a finger behind some trees and disappeared. I grunted twice and he came tearing around the tree and stopped and look right up the hill at my blind. He had the sound pegged perfectly. I put one from the Swede into his chest at 139 yards. He folded up. Its the big 10 pt I previously posted a pic of. Thank God for my Moultrie game camera. Ive been seeing this deer several times around 1030-1100. Thats the only reason I was still in my blind. My buddy called me and asked it I was ready for breakfast and I told him no, that I was going to hang out awhile since this deer had been coming in around those times. The funny thing is, that deer didnt show up on the camera between muzzleloader and rifle. Thought someone got it during muzzleloader. That was the highlight of my season. Havent seen any does bigger than a dog, knowone around here has seen anything since last Sunday. Deer have gone totally noctornal. Even though I got my big buck, worst season ever . Ive never gone this long and not tagged out. Anyone else not seeing anything?

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Man that is a NICE buck. He's got some dandy inside spread to go with them long tines. Congrads.

I know that for the last 3-4 weeks I've been seeing lots of road kill deer, but none today.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have seen no indication of any rutting activity around Oakwood at all. We would be happy to see a doe.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Nice 10 point!
Your not the only one complaining about not seeing deer. With the pressure of gun season, young bucks pestering the does, they have gone nocturnal. People across the state, my area included have the feeders just building up corn that the deer aren't eating.
I know in my area one of the reasons are that the wheat fields are lush now with fresh growth, and with the warm weather, there is still eatable browse. They only need to feed one time during the 24 hr period, and its at night. I have been targeting the deep woods as they stage to come out for the evening feed. We NEED cold weather, and it looks like it will be here Wednesday. The day I have to go back to work. When I left the stand yesterday at 5pm to get the three wheeler to haul out another doe, I saw more deer in the wheat fields that have been seen in two weeks. The rut is pretty much on the down side around here, and live is getting back to normal. I suspect you'll see more does the last week of the season than the first. ;D

·
Super Moderator
10,970 Posts
Congrats on the buck. Mighty fine buck indeed.

I have yet to see a deer with weapon in hand. Only before, after, and in no hunting areas. Buts its my first year in OK so, I'm happy just seeing game and being in the field. Have see lots of tracks and signs of bucks hot after doe around Draper.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Congrates on fine 10pt..Smokewagon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts