Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to MCAAD Wednesday for a bow hunt. Man it was hot! High to mid 90's all day, but hi 50's in the morning.
Went out on Thursday for scouting day, and the area where I saw and killed deer last year did not have a sign. What one could see, you couldn't tell how old it was as they have not had rain in a month.
Sat in two different stands on Friday, and didn't even see an armadillo. Sat morning, same thing, so I quit early and went scouting again.
My hunt was in the Hominy area, and there were 15000 acres of white oak acorns, and persimmons dropping everywhere, so its not like a guy could pick out a tree and sit under it. I had to figure a route between bedding areas and food.
Walked out a grassy area and found beds with trails leading into one of the munitions storage areas. It had been freshly mowed, and new browse was starting up. It had acorn trees to the north of it that were loaded. Fresh deer poop all over the ground.
They had 500lb bombs stored on pallets sitting on a concrete slab, so I just backed up to them on the ground, and waited. Just before dark, the big mama-jamma came out of the bedding area, and started browsing in my direction. Wind had died to almost nothing. I watched this 150 class 10 point for almost a half an hour get withing 60 yds of me. Shook so hard its unbelievable he couldn't see me.
Then I felt a little coolness on the other side of my face.....wind shifted. He raised his head, and stared right at me, went back to feeding, and jerked his head up again. This time he turned and bolted up a hillside blowing all the time. :'( A little later, a couple of does came out, and when they got to that spot, they took off too. As hot as it was, sitting in the direct sun, I'm sure there was quite a scent trail out to them.
Came back this morning, hoping for the biggun to come back, but he didn't show. We had to be out of the woods by noon, and there were two stands to take down, so 0900, got up, and walked out quietly. Just before getting to the road, there was the back half of a deer sticking out of some bushes. Its head was in the bush browsing, and I couldn't see what it was, but there was enough out to take a shot and its either sex, so put an arrow through the liver from 15 yds. It was a buck that took off running with blood pouring out both sides. He made 40 yds, and fell over. The biologist aged him at 2 1/2 yrs old, but it only had a 6 point rack, 14" inside. Better luck next time.
As they don't allow cameras, for the contest I donated the meat at MCAAD, but kept the rack.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Not a bad consolation buck all the same. It's is good to see a real bruiser like you did as most don't get to see one up close very often.

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
Congrats to ya. Any deer down is a fine deer in my book.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Congratulations Dennis! Good to see you got one. I will be at McAlester 4 weeks from today.

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Which area did you draw? You should be there during rut. ;D You'll probably see lots more bucks then.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm hunting Hominy too. We talked about it awhile ago. Where were you hunting at in Hominy?

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you have a map of the place, My spot was C road with the intersecting 7 road.

Just a few yards north there are some ammo bunkers that they have just mowed.

The fresh browse is what they were after.

You will be there closer to rut, so everything goes out the door during rut, as far as bucks.

Just a suggestion.

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that place a bow only ie. long/ recurve no compound/ x-bow? I was thinking about appling next year but if thats the case I don't own a traditional bow of legal poundage for hunting.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Yes, longbow or recurve only. I have a 45 lb Bear Kodiak Magnum II, but I have not practiced with it enough to be anywhere near proficient with it yet.

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that place a bow only ie. long/ recurve no compound/ x-bow? I was thinking about appling next year but if thats the case I don't own a traditional bow of legal poundage for hunting.
the first hunt of the season is a disability hunt. The hunters must have in their posession a note from a Medical Doctor that they can no longer pull a conventional bow.
Cross bows are allowed for this hunt.

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
I only have an old 35# fiberglass recurve besides my compund. I really need to expand my shooting potentials.

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I only have an old 35# fiberglass recurve besides my compund. I really need to expand my shooting potentials.
I used to shoot recurve, but had to quit. Not by my choice.

Go to some of the pawn shops and check their bows. Most have recurves, and can't sell them.
Don't give asking price, and don't be afraid to walk.

When shooting recurve, or compound, I never used sights or any other accessory besides fingers and eyes.

Killed a lot of deer, but had to really limit the distance I shot. Saw lots of trophy bucks walk past my 25 yard limit.
No way I could have taken a chance at wounding such a magnificant animal.

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
I used to be rather good with that little recurve and wooden arrows as a kids. Was the only bow I had for many years to shoot around the yard. Never thought about the pawn shop thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts