Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you use beepers on your bird dogs? My wife got me a Tri Tronics beeper to put on my e-collar for my birthday but I am afraid it is too loud. I can only stand about 30 seconds in the same room with it before I get a headache. I dont want to hurt my dog, just wondering if anyone else used one and what results you got.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
That is 1 of best to have Farmboy - along with SportDog.

Gauge

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, I only use Tri-Tronics, what I am worried about is the volume distracting the dog or actually hurting her hearing.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
I can't anwser that 1.
I'm no vet.
Gauge

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have had 5&1/2 years of experience with Tri-Tonics and wouldn't even consider another.My 1st one I had,mind you my dog is 5 &1/2 years old, started having some problems,it was still working but the beeper function had stopped working,and I more times than not only need to use the beeper as my dog has full trust in me and follows all my voice commands,I got a good dog,and have put the time into him for him to be as good as he is,along with a good line that he came from that goes all the way back to commercial hunting Cheasies. I called them and they where going to fix it even though the warranty was up. I spoke with them and one thing I didn't like about the sport model I had is that the receiver was water proof but the transmitter wasn't,she told me about there new products they had and I decided to go ahead and get a new one as the Transmitter was water proof on the new one in the same model and also had 3 dog options on it. I let them know that I was not willing to go with out a trainer for any period of time and they we're giving me 25% off my new one for trading in my old one,these things tho worth every penny are not cheap,so they sent me a lender unit until I sent in my old one,then sent me my knew one and let me send back the lender so I was never with out a unit and never paid for shipping. Classy!!I had the sport basic G2, I bought the Sport Basic G3,same as the G2 only the transmitter is water proof also,I had a battery go out on the new unit you can replace the battery on the new ones with out any worries??? and they had a new one in my hands with in 4 days. The new G3 cost me less than the one I bought all most 6 years ago,I paid over + $325 for the first one and was only out $285 for the new one. A lot of that was two things,I was now dealing direct with the company and have the same contact person should I ever have any problem and the discount I was given for trading in my old unit that wasn't even under warranty and didn't even fully function. The G3 is the same as the G2 as far as most of the specs go,1/2 mile radios,Beeper,intermittent
shock,full time shock,but the G3 is better as instead of 5 settings like the G2 had the G3 has 10 settings and instead of 1 dog capability it has 3 dog capability and like I said the transmitter is also water proof,and I have had it out in driving rain with NO problem.
I have held it to my bare arm on the level I use on my dog in normal situations,and only have to bump up the juice when hunting and his brain is on a one way street.BIRDS!!! ;D BIRDS!!! ;D Cheasies also have two coats with a under coat so it takes the long pins to even get close to his skin,they come with two sets of pins,Don't let anyone tell you it's cruel,or inhumane,My Vet of 13 years insist that it is the most affective way to train your dog and maybe even save his life from running out in front of another hunters truck while retrieving a bird,you can turn it up and stop him in his tracks,tho my dog can be called off a bird is someone else shot it and there dog is going for it,he honor points and retrieves real well.
He also Hunts pheasant,Quail,Chucker and points all of them and when he is out duck hunting only goes on retrieval of a bird on command. I really don't take much credit for him at this point as I believe that he has let his natural instincts taken over and he is teaching me things at this point. You know I have never used a beeper,those are for guys that need to locate there dogs,I'm pretty sure your not having that problem are you,the tone on my E-Collar makes my dog jump and come running,I'm not sure why,I guess he don't want what comes next.I have never had a use for anything but the tone on his collar.Like I said beepers are used for guys pig hunting or have pointers that won't
work with-in your line of sight,so I would say unless your having those problems it is not something you need as far as it hurting there hearing,loud noises are not as hard on them as high pitch noises are,I don't believe you need to worry about that,you may call Tri-Tronics and they can put that to rest for you.

Greg

·
Administrator
14,063 Posts
I've tried others and have the tri-tronics upland G5 with the remote controlled beeper. I'm not real sure of what model you have, but mine has two different volume levels to select. Its under the battery cover. There are dip switches on mine to select the volume. I have mine on low. It beeps every 15 seconds unless movment stops for 5 seconds, then it turns into a hawk scream. Even if I can't see him, I know that he is on point. ;D Most of the time I leave it off unless I can't see him. At first he was kind of jumpy for about 10 minutes, but settled into the sound. the sound won't hurt his hearing any worse than a shotgun blast over a flushing covey ;D

·
Registered
381 Posts
Never even thought about that Dennis,a gun blast has to be worse! I'm sure that a company like Tri-Tronics did ample research to insure this is not hurting your dog.

·
Administrator
14,063 Posts
Never even thought about that Dennis,a gun blast has to be worse! I'm sure that a company like Tri-Tronics did ample research to insure this is not hurting your dog.
Exactly! The way libility laws are these days, I'm sure they did

·
Vendor
511 Posts
Exactly! The way libility laws are these days, I'm sure they did

Coming from someone whos wife has a dr's in law that makes a hell of a lot of sinse to me

Michael

·
Registered
381 Posts
Yep,I'd have to agree with that!
Greg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts