Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lady Luck was on my side again.

Last week I scored 150 rounds of .44 Mag from a mom and pop shop while I was out of town. Been looking all over the place for it. He had just unboxed the only 3 boxes of it moments before I’d arrived. I was down to my last 18 rounds of .44. At $40 a box I wasn’t going to complain much as I really needed it.
Tonight I was at Walmart getting a spark plug when a sales rep walked by with a box that said Winchester on the side, so I stalked the guy to see where he was going and what he may have in that box. He was headed towards sporting goods. He loaded 7 boxes of Winchester 30-06 165g on the shelf and nothing else. Wouldn’t you know it that’s the exact stuff my son shoots in his 30-06. We also happen to be totally out of 30-06. I picked up my 3 box limit, called the wife to get her tail down to Walmart. She picked up her 3 box limit. She saw a co worker and asked her to buy the last box and she did.
We went from zero 30-06 to 140 rounds just like that. No price gouging either as they were $18 a box.
Had I not been helping my neighbor fix his ATV I’d never have been to the store and scored some much needed ammo. I now have ammo for everything and no more paperweights.
I also got my neighbors ATV fixed and I’m free to use it to try and get access to my bear bait areas until the roads get plowed. I need to pick up a lotto ticket lol.

·
Super Moderator
10,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just need one of these now to clear some roads with. No this isn’t overkill, this is what it will take to clear the 10-15’ high by 100’ long snow drifts blocking the road.

·
Administrator
13,758 Posts
Since I’ll be in grizzly country this summer I needed some .44 mag ammo as well for dangerous game.
Buffalo Bore ammo had these in stock and the shipment came in today.
Solid copper 265 grain loads for maximum penetration.

Reactions: Bullbuster

·
Super Moderator
10,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I saw a box of that at Sportsman’s awhile back and wanted it but not at $45 a box.

I have these in .44 and they make big holes in stumps. At 300gr I haven’t seen anything heavier. I planned to try them in a few weeks on a bear vs the 225g LeverEvolutions.
The .40 is solid copper. I rolled that coyote I shot last November with one of these. I carry a full mag of this in my Glock 22 or S&W model 410 when in the black bear woods.

·
Administrator
13,758 Posts
I saw a box of that at Sportsman’s awhile back and wanted it but not at $45 a box.

I have these in .44 and they make big holes in stumps. At 300gr I haven’t seen anything heavier. I planned to try them in a few weeks on a bear vs the 225g LeverEvolutions.
The .40 is solid copper. I rolled that coyote I shot last November with one of these. I carry a full mag of this in my Glock 22 or S&W model 410 when in the black bear woods.
View attachment 6428
Buffalo advertises these solid copper bullets vs hard cast because the hard cast are still lead and can deflect hitting a big bone.

It’s all advertising to sell a product. I hope these bullets gather a lot of dust and are never used.

·
Super Moderator
10,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Buffalo advertises these solid copper bullets vs hard cast because the hard cast are still lead and can deflect hitting a big bone.

It’s all advertising to sell a product. I hope these bullets gather a lot of dust and are never used.
Especially if using in Grizz country you’d hope to never have to use them. Everything I’ve read says use solid pistol billets for max penetration especially for grizz defense. I’d still get some bear spray just in case. Every Walmart sporting goods in this state sells it. I got a double can with belt pouch from Amazon. I made my boys carry bear spray when we checked baits last season. I will again this year. No grizz in this area but we do have wolves now.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Since I’ll be in grizzly country this summer I needed some .44 mag ammo as well for dangerous game.
Buffalo Bore ammo had these in stock and the shipment came in today.
Solid copper 265 grain loads for maximum penetration.

Every time I have ordered from Buffalo Bore it’s been a great experience with timely shipping. After doing some inventory I was needing some 375 Winchester Magnums. Given it’s not that popular of a caliber but with current shortages I figured it would be a back order item. Nope. I wanted 6 boxes and 4 days later I had them in my hands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
13,758 Posts
Every time I have ordered from Buffalo Bore it’s been a great experience with timely shipping. After doing some inventory I was needing some 375 Winchester Magnums. Given it’s not that popular of a caliber but with current shortages I figured it would be a back order item. Nope. I wanted 6 boxes and 4 days later I had them in my hands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
When logging on to their site, the big notification was that if your ammo hit the cart it was good to go. If not, it was out of stock.
Pretty simple instructions, but the wording of the disclaimer was pretty rough. I'm sure they have been inundated with a bunch of sissy boys that want it NOW!
You must have some big bucks that need that 375 win mag!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I was at Cabela's last night and they had probably 12 boxes of 30-06 in 165gr and 3 boxes of 45acp. I picked up just one box of the 45acp and carried it around for a while. It got pretty heavy while looking at the archery equipment so I took it back over and put it back on the shelf. I didn't really NEED the 45acp so I decided to leave it for the next guy. I cannot seem to find the calibers I NEED so I just won't buy any until I find it. Could use 9mm, 270 win, and 17hmr. I paid $25/box for 17hmr at a gun show a month or so ago, I'll never do that again.

·
Super Moderator
10,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My wife’s is in Denver for a few days with the foster baby for med appointments. She’s been to about ammo shop she can find and all are empty for what we need. We’ve budgeted ammo into our monthly spending. We find something we have and it’s not an arm and a leg then we get it. May be a day when we just can’t find it or it’s no longer allowed.
I’d take that 30-06 165g in a heart beat.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I'm looking 30-06 myself. 150 or 165 grain will do.

·
Administrator
13,758 Posts
I reload the 30-06 in 165 grain Barnes solid copper for Elk.
Puts them down quick. Last elk went down at 590 yards with a complete pass through. I figured the bullet would be in the animal at that range.

·
Super Moderator
10,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My sons 30-06 likes the Winchester 165g SP. I can’t even find reloading stuff anywhere and I don’t reload, yet. I’ve also been stalking up black power stuff as well.

Reactions: kwaynem

·
Administrator
13,758 Posts
My sons 30-06 likes the Winchester 165g SP. I can’t even find reloading stuff anywhere and I don’t reload, yet. I’ve also been stalking up black power stuff as well.
I've been shooting and reloading the 30-06 since 1980. Over a hundred deer and a dozen elk along with predators.
Over the years different bullets have been tried with different results. The only bullet that drops em with a typical heart/lung shot is the Sierra 165 grain Boat Tail Hollow point in 165 grain. Only available if reloading.
When shot, the innards turn into jelly. Never recovered a bullet as they pass through after the massive internal damage.
The soft points always kill them but typically after a 40 yard run.
My 06 is a box fed Browning Stainless Stalker. The soft points get deformed in the magazine by recoil and riding up the feed ramp, so they won't fly accurately at longer ranges if a second shot is needed.
The HP bullets solve that issue. Ballistic tips in other manufactures lines would solve that as well.

Reactions: Bullbuster

·
Super Moderator
10,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've been shooting and reloading the 30-06 since 1980. Over a hundred deer and a dozen elk along with predators.
Over the years different bullets have been tried with different results. The only bullet that drops em with a typical heart/lung shot is the Sierra 165 grain Boat Tail Hollow point in 165 grain. Only available if reloading.
When shot, the innards turn into jelly. Never recovered a bullet as they pass through after the massive internal damage.
The soft points always kill them but typically after a 40 yard run.
My 06 is a box fed Browning Stainless Stalker. The soft points get deformed in the magazine by recoil and riding up the feed ramp, so they won't fly accurately at longer ranges if a second shot is needed.
The HP bullets solve that issue. Ballistic tips in other manufactures lines would solve that as well.
Thank you for that but of advice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts