Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my eye on the Benchmade OTF "Out The Front" double action Infidel since they came out. I decided to go with the utility serreated blade instead of the double edge version. When the knife button is pushed forward the knife slams open with surprising power. With the knife fully open there is no slop between the handle and blade. This is a common problem with double action OTF's. Benchmade eliminated the problem with supperior machining when fabricating this knife. To slide the knife back into the handle you press the button in the opposite direction of opening it. Very crisp and durable knife. I find myself in front of the T.V. opening and closing the knife just for fun. It is addicting trust me. The blade is unbelievably easy to sharpen and holds an edge for a long time. I have had several benchmade knives over the years and many other brands as well. This knife is now my go to knife and I keep it on me most all times. I don't know if they are legal to own in O.K. but they are legal to own and carry here in Oregon. I would recomend this knife to any one looking for an automatic knife.

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
I'm not totally sure, but an "assisted opening" where the blade opens like normal, but has a spring assist is legal. At least they sell them at gun shows and there are cops around.
Again I'm not totally sure, but I think the "switchblade" where the blade comes straight out of the knife is the illegal one in Ok.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Don't know about all the legal stuff, but I do know for a fact the Benchmade blades are the best I've ever seen as far as sharp (scarey sharp in fact) and the edge lasts. I cleaned two dear on one sharpening. Now they are a heavy knife, but well worth carrying.

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
A little off topic, but this is a custom knife made by Dave McCrosky in Stillwater.

He measures your hand, etc, and you have about 200 posibilities for the type of wood used in the handle.
The steel is the same used in GE jet engine turbine blades.
Mine rockwelled out at 65.
Most knives are 60 or less.
He has documented results of 4 elk being skinned without sharpening.

When you say sharp...this knife will fillet the ink from a printed sheet of paper. Seriously.

Best part, is that he sells them at a price that is affordable. The sheath is included and customized with your name and pattern.

Anybody interested, give me a pm.

·
Registered
840 Posts
"Spring assist" knives are fine as long as they are still "pocket knives". The normal Benchmade and Kershaw knives are legal to carry. "Switchblades" and "stilettos" (which it sounds like the OTF is) are legal to OWN, but not carry. I think it's an outdated law going back to the 50's and gang-related activity, that has just never been repealed. Same with butterfly knives. Just like the gun issue, I think these knives have been placed into an "assault" category.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I did find a sweet SOG Trident on the Wal Mart website of all places. It was a little over $50 for it. I had it sent to the Tri City Wal Mart and picked it up, no shipping. Awesome knife with Tiger Striped blade.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The knife I. Am talking about is what is classified as a Stileto, the thing about it is it is not the typical stilleto in regards this knife is very stout and robust. I did some research and found out that Oregon is in fact the only state that a cicilian can carry any switchblade type knife. What is funny though is it can not be concealed ie in your pocket, there is some debate as to is it concealed if the pocket clip is exposed is it concealed. It depends on the interpretation of the officer, however attitude and why you are being detained can either cause the officer to decide to cite for illegal concealed carr of a knife. Accoarding to what I read is that this law also applies to any nonfixed blade knife over 3 inches long. Funny example a person was caght in Portland with a sword concealed and a buck knife folder in his pocket. He was fined and jailed for the buck knife but not the sword.

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
This one should be legal to carry? It looks it to me, according to the regs I'm familiar with.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
This is the S&W OTF knife. It has a mock double edge blade that Im fixing to rectify in a few moments with my sharpener. Instead of a push button, it has a slide button. You slide it about 1/4 inch and then the blade springs out very fast. There is no play in the blade once out. There is also a slide lock on the side of the knife to prevent it from coming out accidently in your pocket. It has a clip and a glass breaker on the end. There are several blade choices for it. Its no Benchmade, but I wasnt about to spend $300+ on a knife. This one for $35 will do just fine.

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
That glass breaker could come in handy. If your caught in flood water, or see somebody that is, that could be a game changer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.