Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a doe I shot yesterday morning, 9:38 AM. I was overlooking one of my fields, and she and 2 others came out about 150 yds. She was the biggest, dressing at just over 100 lbs. After I shot, I could tell she was hit, but she ran hard, half-flagging and stumbling as she ran out of sight. I thought I heard her crash in some timber, but wasn't certain since I lost sight of her behind some trees. She didn't leave much of a blood trail, and being colorblind, I can't trail a deer to save my life (so thankful I have my dad for that, he's a bloodhound). While we were trailing her, the other doe and a yearling stood about 100 yds away watching us for about 30 minutes and weren't alarmed. After they finally left (nearly 2 hours after I shot), I decided to walk in the woods around where I heard a crash, and found her in a small dry creek in a pool of blood. Altogether, she ran about 150 yds, the longest I've ever had to track a deer after a shot. She bled mostly internally, but her right lung was gone!

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Good deal man. I once tracked a doe for over 300y only to find she circled back and piled up about 30y behind my stand. Had a heck of a time as I wass stupid and it was after dark and all I had wass a red light. The blood shining was all that saved me in the search.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Congrats on the doe!
I went out in the snow storm tonight, and had a 300 yd shot at a doe. It was a couple of minutes before the end of shooting light, and I shot and missed. I over calculated the wind speed I guess, and the bullet kicked up mud just in front of her.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Way to go! Nice doe!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Congrats- more grub to add to the freeze. 8)

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Way to go Richard, congrads on the doe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts