Administrator
13,913 Posts
Whatever works!

·
Super Moderator
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
What does the entry wound look like?
As if just one side opened up. It passed through the left shoulder and was lodged in the top of the right scapula. No pass through as one would expect from at 15y shot. Still it dropped in its tracks and never got back up.

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
What kind of broadhead is that?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
It is a Rage. I have the same one.

·
Super Moderator
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not the bull I thought he was. I only saw the six point then a bull run up the hill with cows and stopped with his head behind a large aspen tree. I only had a window the size of a football at 230 yards and thought it's now or never. Never the less the freezer is full and another elk in bag. Colorado 1st season DIY public land. Sorry it took so long to post

image.jpg

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,913 Posts
That's a nice bull :D
Did you have far to get him out? That's when the real work begins.

·
Administrator
13,913 Posts
I hope for you it was down hill.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ha half and half. There was a lot off up down going from draw to draw and dead fall like a crazy game of pick up sticks. I miss the days of guiding back country where we had the luxury of two mules and a cross cut saw.

·
Super Moderator
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Congrats on the elk and fine eats

·
Super Moderator
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
That duck may be a bit chewy if you don't marinate it well. I assume more pics to follow of the deer?

·
Administrator
13,913 Posts
I've got deer pics and story, but not enough signal to send them.
Bucks are cruising everywhere today. Been back in the stand 30 minutes and saw three. Passed on one mainframe 10 point, 130 class just now. There are bigger ones yet to come out.

Reactions: Bird (this time)

·
Super Moderator
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Send them my way^^^^^^

All I've seen was 2 cardinals chase each other.

·
Administrator
13,913 Posts
I shot a doe this morning. She trotted by from behind me, so by the time I got the muffs on and the gun up she was a tad over 100 yds. Dropped her in her tracks with .243WSSM.
About 20 seconds later, here comes a little buck. He runs right by me, goes to her and starts trying to get her up to breed her.
10 minutes later, another buck comes in and they both try to get her up.
a bit later, another shows up, then another.
I've got 4 bucks trying to get her dead body up. They rolled her around the food plot like a soccer ball for almost an hour before wandering off.
The last pic is as far as my phone would zoom. You can see the three bucks, and the fourth coming in. Amazing.

·
Administrator
13,913 Posts
Went out this morning to one of the clearest nights I've ever seen. Stars everywhere. Just stood there and looked for awhile.
First hour there was no movement. Second hour, several does filtered into the food plot. Picked out the biggest, and laid her down.
There were still deer in sight, so just sat there to see if anything would come out.
Looked south and saw a big body in the wheat field with some antlers on top. Range finder said 433 yds.
Aimed 2" over his back and shot. He went down like a sack of spuds.
First pic has my stand in the background left of center between the two scrub trees.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.