Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a couple pictures of largest Oklahoma pigs that I have killed on our leases. These are free ranging hogs. It always amazes me when I here tales of people killing 400 and 500 Lb wild hogs, when very few people really weigh them. I am an engineer by trade so I do everything by the numbers. The brown pig weighed a whopping 225 lbs on the hoof; it was my biggest pig until this year. I killed the black pig this past rifle season and he weighed 190 lbs field dressed. I have weighed several pigs on the hoof and then after field dressing. Based on the data I have collected I use 1.29 times the field dress weight to calculate the live weight. Using that formula the black weighed 245lbs on the hoof.
[/]

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Those are really nice hogs! I'll be you got some good pork chops from those. :eek: :eek:

I'm not an engineer, but have always been amazed when people go out and catch crappie, and tell me they are 3/4 to one pound. I take those same fish and put them on my calibrated scales where they are 3 to 4 ounces.(I'm an instrumentation, and controls tech) Guess I'm the same way.

I like your camo'd rifle. Tell us a little more about it ;D

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Nice pigs Olhunter! Yep, bucks have ground shrinkage that tends to revers it's self at the cafe and the distance between the hands show how big the fish was does the same!!! That's the fun of huntin' & fishin' :D

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
Nice hogs. Man I remember chaseing them thing out in CA. Man them was fun times.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
About the rifle in the picture above. A couple years ago I decided I "needed" a 30 caliber magnum rifle. I bought a high dollar Sako in 300 WSM. After trying a dozen trips to the gun range I still did not have a good hunting load worked up for that rifle and the best factory load would barely shot less than 2" group. Just before Christmas last year I stopped stopped at the Shawnee Walmart and they had this display gun; a Weatherby Vanguard in 300 WBY on sale for $349, so I bought it. The Weatherby loads I bought for it shot less than 1" groups. The first reloads I loaded shot the same way. My hunting load is a 150 grain Barnes TS that goes across the chronograph at 3520 FPS, which I have shot a couple 5 shot groups at .7 and .9 inches. I have since sold the Sako. I am sure Sako makes a fine rifle I just could not find a good load for mine.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Nice Hogs,1olhunter.
You can't beat a Weatherby for accuracy. ;)
HOWA-makes the Vanguard for Weatherby they use to & I believe they still do.
300 WBY awesome round. ;)

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
sometimes you just get a gun that won't shoot. It has to be in the chamber, crown, or bedding, and one can usually fix the problem, but if the machinist that bored the barrel tried to stretch just on more barrel before changing an insert, it can be the bore. I'm betting you checked out all the other.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Nice pigs. How long were the tusks on the black pig?
My brother purchaced a Browning A bolt in 7mm WSM.The best groups we got with it were 1.500 inch at 100 yards,factory loads and hand loads.He sent the gun back to Browning.They did not say what they did but the first group was .600 the second group was .495 at 100 yards.He killed a doe with it 140 yards,dropped in her tracks.
I think they put a new barrel on the gun.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Both of those pigs had tusk that were about 2 1/2 inches above the gum. I got the skull of the first big pig cleaned, but I just threw the second head away. The pig skull is not the wifes favorite by any means.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Nice skull mount.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
At least you get to have one in your house.....I'm limited to one in the house. I have two deer mounts and a bob cat in my cubicle area at work though. ;D

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Everything mounted or tanned is threw out the house.
Wife loves it, just as much as I do.Then again she hunts to when she can.

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
Everything mounted or tanned is threw out the house.
Wife loves it, just as much as I do.Then again she hunts to when she can.
Cause ya married a hard to find gem.

I have a couple rabbit skins, elk leg, deer tail, pig tail and the matching skull, a skull cap spike a buddy made for me last Christmas, squirrel tail, 2 sheds (forky blacktail, 3pt sitka blacktail) and an 11 pointer that sings Elvis in my house. Need to finish the skull mount of the hog.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts