Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
201 - 220 of 248 Posts

·
Administrator
14,684 Posts
Great information about getting the right shot with the camera.

·
Administrator
14,684 Posts
Great video as usual!
Easy to find the downed birds around that water hole. I'm going to take my tractor and brush hog to mow the wheat stubble where I'm hunting. It took way too long to find them when down. While looking, I was missing opportunities shooting at other birds coming in.

Reactions: Kelulu

·
Registered
221 Posts
If you’ve got it I hope you get well soon. Prayers for a quick recover!
Thank you---almost entirely over it. Had all the symptoms including that weird loss of taste and smell. At this point, just making sure that I am not contagious, as I have some work to finish up for elderly customers.
Prayers are much appreciated, brother.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 ·

Damned fun hunt. Was super tough shooting in the thick foliage. I always find woods shooting to be difficult but this stuff was really next level thick. I managed to get a handful of decent clips mostly because we had so much bird contact. This is the first of those clips. Enjoy.

·
Administrator
14,684 Posts
Weather looked pretty warm with everyone in shorts.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #212 ·
Weather looked pretty warm with everyone in shorts.
Daytime highs in the mid 70's. The lake was a surprisingly warm 68. 75 degrees is hot as hell in woods so thick a fat man can't walk through them. Some of the poison ivy was thigh high on me.

·
Administrator
14,684 Posts
Poison lvy an myself do not get along.

• Haha
Reactions: Bullbuster

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #215 ·
Here's the dove shoot video from earlier this week.

·
Administrator
14,684 Posts
Looks like fun, as dove hunting should be. They are hard to hit. (y)

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #218 ·
The quail opener here in Oklahoma is a week away. I'm as well prepared for the season as I have been in years. I'm also really looking forward to finding some coveys with my dogs and some old friends. I always try to celebrate past seasons as a way of passing the time in the days leading up to the opener. This year I'm going to post an old quail hunting video each day for the next week in the hope that sharing my love of the sport will get some of you as excited about next Saturday as I.

These are by necessity reposts of earlier videos. In my Oklahoma Quail Hunting playlist on my YouTube page I have over 100 similar videos you can watch if you have any interest. While you are there please consider subscribing to my YouTube feed so you can see the new videos I'll catch throughout the season.

This first video is from 2017 and shows one of my viszlas Rhett (RIP) finding, pointing and retrieving on a scattered covey of public land bobwhites. Enjoy!

·
Administrator
14,684 Posts
Saw the quail roadside count report the other day. The numbers are up in parts of the state.

Reactions: Kelulu

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #220 ·
A week from now my feet, knees and hips will be aching as I start on my last loop of opening weekend. The dog I drop out of the box will be stiff and have a raw chest from running through the grass. Hopefully the conversation I share with my friends as we walk towards the setting sun will be a discussion of coveys found, shots missed and made and beautiful dog work. In the meantime share my pleasure in watching old Ellie Mae hammer this covey of bobwhite in the wind from 2018. Note her obvious strength, aggression and desire. She wants to rip their faces off!

201 - 220 of 248 Posts