Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone just see the story on channel 9 about these black vultures attacking cattle. Anyone seen this? I’m not buying it. Vultures are scavengers, not birds of prey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
14,674 Posts
Need a link I’m in a different time zone.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
It’s happening. Oklahoma Livestock Commission and Cattleman’s Association sent out a bunch of info earlier in the year. The changed the pronoun from scavenger to bird of opportunity. Texas and Louisiana have had lots of problems with them. Never seen one up here just your regular red headed buzzards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
14,674 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
I've dealt with it first hand...it is true.

They go after calves that have just hit the ground and peck the eyes out. The calves will eventually die.

Rode up on a scene one day in my 4-wheeler that looked like National Geographic; mama cow was dancing back and forth with about six black headed buzzards trying to get at the newborn calf...reminded me of hyenas going after a brand new cape buffalo or something.

Wife didn't believe me until she saw it with her own eyes a few months later in another pasture.

Can't kill the buzzards because they're protected...huge fine. But damn if they don't need to be taken care of

The red-headed turkey buzzards aren't a problem.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I read this some time ago and I think you can kill the black ones when this is happening. The thing I read was probably early 2021 and I don’t think it was I. Oklahoma.

·
Super Moderator
11,784 Posts
That’s crazy. Must be something you can do to protect the calf’s and keep the buzzards away.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
News was saying something about Depredation permit that allows you to take 5. Off they are really doing this I would be shooting all on sight. Only reason buzzards are protected is because they keep the roadways cleared of carcasses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,784 Posts
Not my fault they landed next to the Tennerite I was shooting at.

·
Administrator
14,674 Posts
If I saw them taking money out of my back pocket, there would be no mercy. 5 a year is stupid when your talking a calf that could potentially bring in thousands at the sale.

·
Registered
769 Posts
All I know is that the penalty is so damn high (max $15K and 6 months prison), that it is not worth talking about on the internet about how one can protect their calves from these. Plus, this site doesn't need the extra heat from anti-gunners and anti-hunters.

It is BS, but many of the laws are. Still, it is best to stay legal where one can.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I used to live in Lawton and I moved away from there because of all the stupidity of the City Government. I'm beginning to wonder if ACJ got his ignorance from the Lawton City Officials or he just comes by it naturally because he would make a good City Councilman for Lawton because he acts just like rest of the City Council.
Yeah you’re probably right about that.
ACJ said anything ridiculous lately we can all laugh about? Shooting domestic chickens with air soft guns from your pickup and the legality of doing so in Lawton...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts