Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
15,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Blue bullet company sent me an email as a past customer with some sale prices that are cheaper than the Trump days.
For those that don’t know, most competitive pistol shooters use polymer coated lead bullets because they are significantly cheaper than copper jacketed.
I’ve recovered some of the bullets from the berm. They retained 100% of the coating so there is no leading of the barrel. They load just the same as copper jacketed.

·
Administrator
15,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it's getting closer. Lots of price drops in online ammo sales. Saw some .22 RF for .07 cents a round the other day. Wasn't the premium stuff, but that's certainly an improvement over that same rund being .11 just a few months back.
Ammo shelves are filling back up, but prices are still high for factory stuff.
Back in the Trump days, I was paying $98 for 900 of the blue bullets in .40 cal. The same ones on this sale are $77.
Now lets hope reloading supplies make the same swing. I know in past shortages, reloading supplies were the last to go into shortage but were the last to come back on the market readily available.

·
Super Moderator
12,801 Posts
I have some reloads in Rem 7mm Mag rounds that the bullets painted blue over the copper. Has a small pin hole in the top. Never could figure out what company makes them. I still have some of them.

Reactions: retrieverman

·
Administrator
15,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have some reloads in Rem 7mm Mag rounds that the bullets painted blue over the copper. Has a small pin hole in the top. Never could figure out what company makes them. I still have some of them.
Ammo manufacturers went through a little spell where they used moly coated bullets in their rifle rounds. I have some Winchester that is a dull grey.

·
Administrator
15,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yes, big deal back then like any new idea/fad but the moly bullets quickly faded.
Competition, no matter what discipline, rolls with what the winners use.
They think the magic new fad will cure what prevents them from being the winner.
I’m guilty of it.
I’ve raced drag motorcycles, raced the most dangerous vehicles on earth, (according to the government, three wheelers), professionally bass fished in the early 80’s on the Red man tour and shot competitions forever. Love shooting the most. Wish I’d gotten more into it sooner.
Every one follows the same example. If the winner has a “thing a ma gib” on their gun, rod, motorcycle, and wins; the following week all of them will do the same thinking that will make them a winner. The gun industry relies on that.
The most favorite saying is that it’s not the machine that wins, it’s the nut behind the wheel/trigger.
Equipment counts but as an example of that, there are 4 USPSA Grand Masters in Oklahoma. Three of the 4 ran $3000 +\-race gun pistols in .38 super.
Arguably the best shot used a 4” factory sig in 9mm with trigger mods, beating the race guns consistently. (He was also the countries best competition shotgun smith before arthritis killed his business.)
Another example is the world speed shooting competition in 2018, where a guy from Oklahoma in bib overalls won the overall with a stock 10-22. Guy in his 40’s. Shot with him many times at the okc gun club steel matches. He was intimidating.
We have amazing shooters in Oklahoma.
I know I’ve wandered from the Op, but it’s late with nothing on the idiot tube.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
"It's not the bow, it's the Indian" is a great analogy I've often heard regarding the necessity for skill involved in a sport. You can't spend your way into the top without the necessary skill required to be competitive.

There is another saying though, and it also rings true: "You can't climb 10 feet on a six foot ladder". There comes a time where even the best shooter/racer/whatever can be handicapped by poor equipment. It's up to the individual to know where that balance exists in his or her life.

·
Super Moderator
12,801 Posts
Do they look something like this?
View attachment 8470

View attachment 8471

I believe that's an old Barnes 7mm 160-grain XLC.
I would have to say yes. More so the tip pic. The blue has rubbed off some.

Edit—While I was in the ammo safe looking for other bullets for another post I figured I’d pull a couple of the “blue bullets” and take a pic. Again these are Rem 7mm Mag.
Hand Finger Fluid Gesture Thumb

·
Super Moderator
12,801 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,801 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,801 Posts
Yeah, sorry. Haven't been back in a while. Old Barnes XLC 160-grain. At least, that's what it looks like to me!
I did some digging and sure enough that what they are. I liked them and wished I could still get some.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts