Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK y'all I got a problem and its driving me crazy. ??? ??? ??? ???

The lights on my boat trailer are not working properly. The lights all work except in running mode. They come on when I hit the brake, both direction turn signal, emer signal. They just don't work in standard lights on running mode.

I took the hookup connector apart and cleaned it. Broke the splice apart and re spliced the wires. Read out all the wires and it a checks good. My only thought is a wrong bulb as I have changed the taillights bulbs out as they went out.

For now when I tow it after dark I have to attach chemlights to the back so I can be seen unless I'm braking or turning. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm stumped and all ears. I don't want to take it in to the shop if I don't have too.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Maybe the wrong bulb? You should have two filaments in the bulb.

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll have to take them out and see. Well post back with my findings.

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I've spent a good 6 hours the last couple of days trying to figure out the problem. That's on top of the countless hours in the past. I'm happy to say I did it and all is working well. I started by buying all new bulbs again and changing all 6 trailer light bulbs. Still the running lights didn't want to work right. I pulled the lights off and checked wiring again (in case I pinched one) still found nothing. I decided to pull the trailer tongue off and pull all the wires out and inspect them from tongue to tail. As I pulled the wires through they got hung up. I stuck a flashlight in the tube and saw a huge clump and grass and stuff. It took me an hour to get it all out as it was almost 3' up in the tongue tube (straightend coat hanger and air compresser blower). Turned out to be a stinking bird nest with 3 hatched eggs in it. WTF is going on with that and how did a bird even get past the 3 bolts holding tongue on. I pull the wires back out the tube and find a plastic connector was busted which had been located within the nest. I figure this bird had pecked it till it broke. I fixed it and still they didn't work on my truck. I then hooked it up to my wife's and wouldn't ya know it they all worked like they should. So one problem down and now I have to figure out what is wrong with the towing wires on my truck. I get into the electrical diagrams and follow them. No issues I can see. I then check the fuse boxes and find 3 blown fuses for towing. 1 was busted good but the other 2 had melted back onto themselves so they continued to work. I changed them out and wouldn't ya know it I got running lights back on my trailer. So having not checked the fuses before on my truck I felt like a fool but the lights didn't work right on my wife's either. So in fixing one problem I found I actually had 2 problems. Both fixed and extra fuses have been added to my boat repair kit just in case. Now all I need to do is fix my stern light so it will work right and I'm all set. I can at least tow my boat at night without having to attach chem lights to the back.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Best thing I've ever used to troubleshoot a wiring problem is the inline plug with LED'S. It will show if the problem is in the vehicle, or trailer side.

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did pick one up yesterday when I got the fuses. Didn't know they made them. Guy at Advanced Auto mentioned it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts