Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
Anybody know anything or have any experience with this rifle? I didn't even know that Browning made a straight pull action.
I just looked it up as I'm a Browning fan boy. I will have to say that is an impressive rifle after watching some videos and reading some of the specs, etc.
It even comes with a takedown model.
Looking at the video's, the bolt stays locked until after the shot where the bolt is cocked to the rear and then released. Like single loading an AR from the magazine.
I'm impressed!

Reactions: retrieverman

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just looked it up as I'm a Browning fan boy. I will have to say that is an impressive rifle after watching some videos and reading some of the specs, etc.
It even comes with a takedown model.
Looking at the video's, the bolt stays locked until after the shot where the bolt is cocked to the rear and then released. Like single loading an AR from the magazine.
I'm impressed!
Have you had much experience with straight pull actions? It takes some getting used to, for sure. But it's impressive how quickly that action can be worked by those who are well familiar. I watched a Blaser employee shoot at video projected, running wild boar with a .308 in a thumb-hole stock. It was almost like he was shooting a semi-automatic.

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
Have you had much experience with straight pull actions? It takes some getting used to, for sure. But it's impressive how quickly that action can be worked by those who are well familiar. I watched a Blaser employee shoot at video projected, running wild boar with a .308 in a thumb-hole stock. It was almost like he was shooting a semi-automatic.
I'm betting I've seen the same video. That guy could shoot.

Reactions: retrieverman

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
I haven't seen a video. I was at Blaser's indoor shooting range at their factory in Isny, Germany, shooting with one of their employees. It was crazy how fast he could work that bolt.
I was watching a guy in a stand shooting a Blaser on a driven boar hunt. He killed a half dozen on the run and never missed. Impressive.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I was watching a guy in a stand shooting a Blaser on a driven boar hunt. He killed a half dozen on the run and never missed. Impressive.
I'm late to the game here. ..however I'd like to point out that this is where great editing comes onto play. I didn't realize it until I cut a couple of misses out during a video edit, but then it dawned on me that it isn't too hard to make one look like Annie Oakley. Now that I'm 'sensitive' to it, I always notice when the guy/girl went on a missing spree and careful editing saved the day.

- If you see the video cut to the next scene, when there are still multiple animals running in frame...the dude proceeded to miss every one of them.

- Any kind of hard cut (missing spot) where the shooters position hasn't changed...the dude missed an animal or two that ran right in front of him...and then it comes back to where he connects. Sometimes its harder to tell, but with thermal sensitivity, the resolution/brightness of the background is the telling sign.

I hit 61% of my shots on running pigs the second half of last year. I'm trying to improve on that this year. I'm keeping a tally because it is my only measurement to see if I'm improving. Last year was my first real attempt at thermal hunting, so I'm hoping for 66% this year, and 70% overall as I think that is pretty respectable.

My last 6.5 Grendel vs 6.8 video I put 100 pigs down...with editing I think I may have shown 120 shots to get there :D .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts