Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What in you guys opinion is the better budget non-toxic shot shell ammo?

Me and a few friends from here in okmulgee will be hunting some of the public land and it has been so long since i bought non-tox i dont really even know whats out there. Most of us are college students with part time jobs so we really on a budget.

Thanks for your input.

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
Depends also on what gauge and if you want 2 3/4, 3", or 3 1/2".

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I use Remington Sportsman in 3" and 2 3/4". It is at reasonable price.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Winchester Xpert has been good to me. I've also used the Dry-lok, but it's a little more expensive than the Xpert.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
You said you worked @ Wal-Mart right?
The Remington Sportsmen load in 3" 1 1/4oz load with #2 #1 shot works well on ducks.
Winchester X-perts are just as good & you can find them in #3 shot.

They should run around $10-$11.00 a box of 25 rounds.

I highly recommend you shoot at least a 3" shell- 1300 fps & a minimum of 1 1/4oz of shot.
I been shooting steel & other non-toxic since they first can out over 20 years ago.
This load combo kills good out to 45 yards.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah i work at wally world...I work in grocery side and now i work there i stay out of there much as i can. but i think i did see those there the other day when i bought some .223 for my contender.

yeah i pretty much always used a 3" shell when i started huntin them. if i need anything bigger i have access to a 10g. but thanks for the advise greatly apreciated. i mostly hunt upland birds when im wing shooting. like the trip im takin to western kansas next weekend to pheasant hunt.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Let me know how your pheasant hunt comes out. I'm thinking of heading to western Ks after rifle season is over.

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
Winchester Xpert has been good to me. I've also used the Dry-lok, but it's a little more expensive than the Xpert.
I have also used the Xper and Dry-lok with great success in both 2 3/4 and 3". I found a killer deal at a gun show some years back in Cali and was able to get them for like $5 a box and cleaned them out. I have about 10 boxes left of the 30 or so I picked up.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will let you know dennis we are going north of liberal to sublette, ks i got a friend from out there. could be interesting trip this is the longest road trip my car has been on in about 3 years LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts