Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
13,768 Posts
He's a little angry in the second pic!

They do get that angry look when in a cage.

Bullbuster did a European on a cat I trapped a couple of years ago. Just the skull with all the teeth is pretty awesome looking. He even found the .22 short in the brain cavity used to put him down.
Very cool!

Reactions: Bullbuster

·
Super Moderator
10,704 Posts
I was just as shocked when I found the bullet. Makes for a great conversation piece now.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I don't know why you didn't just reach in there and pull him out. I'm sure he would have calmed right down and started purring as soon as you put your hand in there. :p

·
Administrator
13,768 Posts
I knew a guy that trapped one, and caged it at home for a pet before finding out it was illegal.

He opened the door to put in some chicken scraps, and came out with a bloody arm. Those guys are fast!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I knew a guy that trapped one, and caged it at home for a pet before finding out it was illegal.

He opened the door to put in some chicken scraps, and came out with a bloody arm. Those guys are fast!
I've got a few 8-10 pound, "tame" housecats - I couldn't imaging tangling with something that large & wild.

·
Super Moderator
10,704 Posts
Just be glad it was a little cat.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
I think they are about the best looking wild critter around, but I'd sure hate to attempt to tame one!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Awesome video.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I open the door and shoot them as they are running off.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
kill pole on cats, .22 shorts for everything else. I wouldn't mind investing in a syringe kill pole for skunks though.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
What are you using for cat bait?

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If I've been trapping ***** in the area already, I'll use duck carcasses. If not, just a few duck wing feathers hanging from a string in the back of the cage. Usually some feathers on the floor of the cage, Dobbins Purrrfect lure in the back.

·
Administrator
13,768 Posts
I shoot them with a .22.

I tried putting a tub over the skunks in a cage trap once, and then exhaust from my truck in a tube into the tub. 30 minutes later, they were still alive. Shot them with the .22. They didn't spray as they were so drowsy.

Any other time, they spray even if shot in the brain.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I know a taxidermist that does higher end glass coffee tables and he wants no holes or hemoraging on the cats. I've been selling him some big mature spotted cats ( tagged, tag goes on bottom of coffee table) for A HELLUVA LOTTA MONEY, I've seen some of his tables sell from $5000 to $7000. So i asked him how are we gonna do this, and all he said was " creek, horse trough or pond". Learned that cats do not have nine lives and you must keep live trap away from your body during transport.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
They have tiny lungs. The kill pole I mentioned puts them down in less than a minute, zero damage and you don't have to disturb your trap and set. The cat that was in your trap has been whizzing in there all day, actually making your set even better for your next catch.

They're not bad to transport in the cage either, I usually take one for my kids show and tell every winter. I'd much rather transport a cat next my than a ****. ***** can reach through the trap and grab your carry hand or leg.

·
Super Moderator
10,704 Posts
The skunks I was catching in live traps I had had set in black trash bags. I just closed the one end and placed in a 55 gal drum and filled with water. Only one that sprayed was one a coworker pulled out before it was dead. He didn't like the poor critters being harmed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts