Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading the thread about using Tink's got me to thinking who is successful calling in whitetail bucks. Do you rattle? If so, real horns or a rattle bag? What about a can bleat? Snort/wheeze?

I've never had much luck rattling or using a can bleat so really haven't tried in a few years. Would love to hear some recommendations or your approach.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
One experience I had a couple years ago there was 10 to 15 deer small box does and yearlings within yards of me under my stand all talking to each other. First and only time I have ever heard this. The sounds they were making resembled more of very very soft quiet cows and calves at a sale barn mooing than what anything I have heard on television sounds like. With that being said I have used a call many times and many times have had deer that just would not even look up or respond to it let alone walk over into bow range. After that experience I realized any call I make that a deer could hear more than 50 25 yards away is going to come off in deer language as the loudest scream or holler ever

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have used a doe bleat. I was told 1 bleat only, it made deer look my direction, but they didn't call me my direction. Every time I try this is the result. They don't run off, but they don't come near either.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
14,527 Posts
I think rattling comes with certain times of the year and on areas with a doe to buck ratio close to 1:1 where bucks have to really compete to determine who gets to breed that doe.
Most of Oklahoma is overran with does so the bucks don’t have to compete by fighting.
Bleats won’t work late season, only early bow season IMHO.
Bleats are distress signals put out by lost fawns when first born.
By early MZ season in Ok, does are kicking the male fawns out, and bleats are ignored.
Just my theories with 40 some years of watching and zero scientific evidence.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I’ve had great luck with a tending grunt during rifle season. Called up a couple big boys who were all puffed up and pissed off. I throw one out every 30 mins and have had a few deer I never even knew were there come barreling out of the woods.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I think that calling is one of those things that works...but doesn't work far more often. Most of us aren't able to get into a position to keep a deer from circling downwind of us to check out what is calling, and I bet us "calling losers" get busted far more often this way that we know.

I spent $350 on one of those Convergent Bullet electric calls, and had decent luck with calling coyotes in on a rabbit in distress...while also tying a turkey feather to dangle from a barb wire fence. The sound and the visual combined worked pretty well.

However, when it comes to calling hogs with it (the reason I bought it in the first place) I went 0 for 5 or so in my attempts. My failure is why I finally broke down and went thermal. I've seen videos of it working, just like guys playing with antlers and grunt calls...but I'm convinced that it doesn't work more often than it does.

·
Administrator
14,527 Posts
Buddy and I use a remote controlled rabbit next to the remote caller.
Your correct saying the coyotes will 95% of the time circle downwind to smell what’s there.
We always sit back to back so one is always looking up and downwind.
Usually one of us sees the coyote making its way down wind and get the shot.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
A rain dance has a lot to do with timing.
The times that I’ve had success calling and rattling were unbelievable experiences. Bucks would come charging in all bristled up and looking. I’ve had them snort/wheeze and make the chuffing hack sound they make when they challenge another deer. When I rattle I use real horns and will make quite a bit of extra noise with my feet on the ground. A high advantage point isn’t completely necessary but is helpful. I’ve rattled down in the timber on the creek and had bucks just suddenly appear or pop up out of the creek bed that gave me very little time to determine how good the deer was or o makes the shot.
There have been times I’ve rattled while overlooking a field with many deer on it including a handful of bucks that were pushing does around and even sparring showing rut activity only to watch the entire field clear out the second they heard the first clack if the horns. They didn’t even stop to look which way the sound was coming from. I’ve tried rattling to many bucks that looked to be out on the seeking phase. They would be trotting or walking in one direction like they were on a mission and when they heard the horns they would stop to look my direction and just start right back the direction they were going. My experience with those types are that 4-5 light grunts worked better than the horns. I also believe my first sentence of this says it all. When you call or rattle when it’s the right time you will have good results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 48 Posts