Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I’ve had success with grunting, rattling, and the can. Just depends on conditions and what time a year. I’ve grunted at bucks 500 yards of and got em to come within 30. My sons 14 pt was to far for him to shoot during youth season years ago. I grunted softly and here he came.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
A rain dance has a lot to do with timing.
The times that I’ve had success calling and rattling were unbelievable experiences. Bucks would come charging in all bristled up and looking. I’ve had them snort/wheeze and make the chuffing hack sound they make when they challenge another deer. When I rattle I use real horns and will make quite a bit of extra noise with my feet on the ground. A high advantage point isn’t completely necessary but is helpful. I’ve rattled down in the timber on the creek and had bucks just suddenly appear or pop up out of the creek bed that gave me very little time to determine how good the deer was or o makes the shot.
There have been times I’ve rattled while overlooking a field with many deer on it including a handful of bucks that were pushing does around and even sparring showing rut activity only to watch the entire field clear out the second they heard the first clack if the horns. They didn’t even stop to look which way the sound was coming from. I’ve tried rattling to many bucks that looked to be out on the seeking phase. They would be trotting or walking in one direction like they were on a mission and when they heard the horns they would stop to look my direction and just start right back the direction they were going. My experience with those types are that 4-5 light grunts worked better than the horns. I also believe my first sentence of this says it all. When you call or rattle when it’s the right time you will have good results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I would like seeing that. Listened to this podcast that had on a fella they called the prince of poachers and some of his rattling stories would have really been something to see. Can’t think of his real name, it was worth the listen.

·
Administrator
14,527 Posts
I haven’t had any luck with rattling or grunts.
Probably because of operator inexperience with that craft.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
You e heard the stories? Seemed like tweaked stories but if true he worked harder for his deer than what I ever have.
There is a video on YouTube it’s long but pretty good he tells all kinds of stories about poaching on the king ranch and another that I can’t remember the name of plum up to the time he got caught and stopped doing it

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I took a 3 day camping trip this weekend to hunt public land. I saw 14 deer, 8 different bucks. all of the bucks but one were chasing and one was locked down tending a doe. The largest buck I saw was on the prowl checking beds about 60 yards to my right. I grunted at him with a "territorial" growl as I can't snort/wheeze to save my life. I tried to get him to come in closer for a shot. He didn't even turn his head to look at me, I tried three times and didn't get a smidge of hesitation as he kept walking around until he disappeared into the brush. I tried some estrus bleats, doe grunts, and buck grunts with ZERO results. Not a single deer seemed to spook either, they cared not. I put the grunt tube back in my hunting closet and have zero plans of ever using it again this season, if ever.

·
Super Moderator
11,573 Posts
The second mule deer rut is kicking off around here. Took this pic a few houses down from me yesterday of a decent 4x4 buck that was sniffing and licking the hind end of a doe.
Sky Building Cloud Car Window

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I took a 3 day camping trip this weekend to hunt public land. I saw 14 deer, 8 different bucks. all of the bucks but one were chasing and one was locked down tending a doe. The largest buck I saw was on the prowl checking beds about 60 yards to my right. I grunted at him with a "territorial" growl as I can't snort/wheeze to save my life. I tried to get him to come in closer for a shot. He didn't even turn his head to look at me, I tried three times and didn't get a smidge of hesitation as he kept walking around until he disappeared into the brush. I tried some estrus bleats, doe grunts, and buck grunts with ZERO results. Not a single deer seemed to spook either, they cared not. I put the grunt tube back in my hunting closet and have zero plans of ever using it again this season, if ever.
Can’t blame him one bit. If Racheal the hot red head told you she wanted you to follow her trail out behind the gym during lunch hour for a kiss would you stop on the way when the other boys wanted to wrestle or throw the baseball?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
14,527 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,573 Posts
That pic was about 300y down the road from the house and yes those are the hills behind the house. Apparently a neighbor had a rock come down and hit the back of the house. Not much damage but it’s the first time since living in this house I heard it happen.

·
Administrator
14,527 Posts
That pic was about 300y down the road from the house and yes those are the hills behind the house. Apparently a neighbor had a rock come down and hit the back of the house. Not much damage but it’s the first time since living in this house I heard it happen.
I wondered if that ever happened when looking at how close some of the homes were to the base.

·
Registered
37 Posts
my biggest buck on the wall i grunted in. I have grunted a few in this year but not close enough to shoot with xbow. I was watched some videos on utube on calling and learned a lot. different types of grunts and when to rattle soft or just rub them together or really act like your fighting. very insightful videos. I would recommend watching them and have your grunt tube with you to practice with them. after watching the videos i was doing a lot wrong. there are grunts with bucks are tending does and fixing to mate and other runts.

·
Administrator
14,527 Posts
my biggest buck on the wall i grunted in. I have grunted a few in this year but not close enough to shoot with xbow. I was watched some videos on utube on calling and learned a lot. different types of grunts and when to rattle soft or just rub them together or really act like your fighting. very insightful videos. I would recommend watching them and have your grunt tube with you to practice with them. after watching the videos i was doing a lot wrong. there are grunts with bucks are tending does and fixing to mate and other runts.
That’s probably why I’ve never had luck rattling or grunting.

·
Administrator
14,527 Posts
Not sure that I should laugh at this. Just totaled my pickup coming back from supper the other night. Buck ran right out in front of us entire front end is gone. Dang thing, I was pulling antler out of my radiator.
Hopefully nobody but the deer was hurt?

21 - 40 of 48 Posts