Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
When I first retired 9 years ago I went out as much as I could. Now I am just like you I don't go out like I used too. I still go out but my body says slow down your not as young as you used to be. When I do go I am in no hurry to get where I am going. I just enjoy watching the morning unfold with the sound of ducks landing in the decoys before shooting time, turkeys gobbling before flying off the roost and most of all the sunrise. Now I spend more time here at home enjoying being with my wife and grandkids. I too am banking the fire.

·
Super Moderator
10,833 Posts
While I’ve never had the desire to stop hunting I have had a couple incidents while hunting that made me rethink my passion for continuing to do it.
I do long for that adrenalin rush bear hunting with a pistol.

Reactions: wrightoutdoors

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
I read a story once about the three stages of hunting/fishing.
Can't remember it exactly, but it kind of went from the teen years to the late 30's it's a blood sport. Maximum kill, hunt everything. Hunting for bragging rights.
Late 30's to 60, selective hunts with emphasis on trophy animals and quality of the hunt being the most important issues.
60's up, it's too late to get a new bird dog started. Your hunting buddies are pulled up lame and can't walk with you anymore.
Sitting in the fork of a tree on a 2X6 wedged in there waiting on a deer just isn't going to happen anymore.
A good warm, comfortable blind with all the amenities, plenty of food and drink with internet to watch the latest game is a pretty good way to deer hunt.
There is no longer the desire to kill everything in front of you, just that special one that shows up on occasion and you question if you really want to field dress that thing before pulling the trigger.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
I read a story once about the three stages of hunting/fishing.
Can't remember it exactly, but it kind of went from the teen years to the late 30's it's a blood sport. Maximum kill, hunt everything. Hunting for bragging rights.
Late 30's to 60, selective hunts with emphasis on trophy animals and quality of the hunt being the most important issues.
60's up, it's too late to get a new bird dog started. Your hunting buddies are pulled up lame and can't walk with you anymore.
Sitting in the fork of a tree on a 2X6 wedged in there waiting on a deer just isn't going to happen anymore.
A good warm, comfortable blind with all the amenities, plenty of food and drink with internet to watch the latest game is a pretty good way to deer hunt.
There is no longer the desire to kill everything in front of you, just that special one that shows up on occasion and you question if you really want to field dress that thing before pulling the trigger.
Yep exactly! The spirit is still willing and active, the body says "are you kidding me?"

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'm 42 and I'm still on a mission when I'm hunting. Even with hog hunting when I have the wind in my face at night is SO HARD not to set up and blast.

I could never film any of my other stuff. I've never counted a single tine before I pulled the trigger. It is 100 percent concentration on the heart and how fast I can put a bullet or arrow through it.

I'd be the two pump chump of YouTube if I made deer videos.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm 42 and I'm still on a mission when I'm hunting. Even with hog hunting when I have the wind in my face at night is SO HARD not to set up and blast.

I could never film any of my other stuff. I've never counted a single tine before I pulled the trigger. It is 100 percent concentration on the heart and how fast I can put a bullet or arrow through it.

I'd be the two pump chump of YouTube if I made deer videos.
Ha! That last line made me laugh.

·
Super Moderator
10,833 Posts
Let’s just say after yesterday’s events and what’s about to go down today.....my hearts really broke and I’m just not feeling it.
When all is said and done this may be grounds for another story.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I how I feel.

Reactions: kwaynem

·
Super Moderator
10,833 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
My close friend and hunting partner since junior high school had a stroke in early December 2018. It put him in a wheel chair and ended his hunting days. He had been slowing down considerably for several years prior to that. I killed my very first deer, and most of them since then, on land that his family owned. I haven't been able to make myself go back out since then, even though I have a nice elevated, insulated deer shack with all the amenities like Dennis described. I don't know if I'll get back out there or not.

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
My close friend and hunting partner since junior high school had a stroke in early December 2018. It put him in a wheel chair and ended his hunting days. He had been slowing down considerably for several years prior to that. I killed my very first deer, and most of them since then, on land that his family owned. I haven't been able to make myself go back out since then, even though I have a nice elevated, insulated deer shack with all the amenities like Dennis described. I don't know if I'll get back out there or not.
You should. It might take a bit of reflection to get back in the groove on the first visit back but doing so and using the time to reflect back on the good times with your friend.
I’m sure he would want you back out there.

Reactions: DRC458

·
Registered
18 Posts
You should. It might take a bit of reflection to get back in the groove on the first visit back but doing so and using the time to reflect back on the good times with your friend.
I’m sure he would want you back out there.
I know you're right. I should. Just haven't convinced myself yet. That year (2018) I had just put together a .260 on a '98 Mauser. I carried it that year and hadn't seen anything worth shooting when he had his stroke. Kinda' took the wind completely out of my sails.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
I'm on the declining side for sure. I'm getting to where a nice warm bed in the mornings is pretty good company. The afternoon hunts are getting to be more watching the critters, except coyotes. I still hate coyotes and can't wait to dispatch one when I see one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts