Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how everyone is weathering the storm. Still have 'tricity. It flickered some this afternoon some. Mom just south of me lost hers at 3.

·
Registered
918 Posts
we are good the hunters killed some pigs and me and a buddy are gonna go out and play big boy style in the snow hopefully find a group of pigs and give them a good ol 223 workover how much snow ice did you guys in the east get we got enough that i have to wear my boots inside my jeans as the snow is arond 8in here

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
We only had about 2 inches this morning but have had a moderate snow fall ever since. I'm working to day at the plant, guess some of you south of OKC are having some power problems with the ice. I don't forsee us having any as all we got was snow.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lost power last night at 0330 and have been working on stuff around the house. The way the power went out, I think it fried my control board on the central heat and a couple of outlets. It did literally pop 5 light bulbs and the coffee maker. It rained/freezing rain till 9 this morning. Then the snow started and we have so far 1.5 inches of ice and 6+ of snow and it's still snowing hard.

Now why didn't I apply for that job at Cape Canaveral Fla??????

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
We live in Osage county SE of Ponca City, and decided after coming home from work to go out to the Mexican restaurant up on the highway. When we got up there it was like a traffic jam of UTV's and Atv's going out for a night to eat. Told my wife we should go back home and get the three wheeler and ride it 2 miles back up there to join in the festivities.....I'm sporting a pop knot on my head right now....never suggest that again :eek: ;D

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now just where is her sense of adventure???? Rigged up a gas heater stove from the gas line to the central heat unit so we are staying toasty warm. I'm kicking myself for not going ahead and setting up my generator to the nat gas line. I'm tired of filling up the gas cans and every 5 hrs filling up the tank. Plus it's getting expensive. But it does get me out of the house and into town to look around. Just glad folks are going to work at the quick stops!

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
Well we got a tun of ice and snow at my place. Was lucky and they said don't come in on Thursday but I had to work yesterday for 10 hours and am at work now just getting a bite to eat. Will probably be here another 6 hours and again tomorrow.
I was so tired when I got home but I did a double good deed and shoveled 2 neighbors drives when I got home after doing mine.
Most of the roads are beat up and in poor condition still.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
had to work out in it myself all day. At least the wind wasn't blowing 90mph. It was kind of fun on the company 4 wheelers cutting around in the snow ;D

·
Registered
75 Posts
very bad here today,we had a lady in town go out to feed her goats and fell she froze to death before they found her :( i fell and banged up my leg, hand & head...

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
I had to run home and get something, its 2.7 miles, saw a wreck happen in front of me. Slowed down and went into a spin, with oncoming traffic headed my way, I shifted to "N" steered with it got control and put it back in "D" and stopped. I looked back to see my rear bumper less than 6' from the van that was in the wreck. I turned around and headed on home and back into work with no issue. I was telling the guys at work the only time I got squirrly was when I tried then that happened. Gonna be fun when I get outa here in an hour or two now that everything is frozed up again.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
I shifted to "N" steered with it got control and put it back in "D" and stopped.
You sir, just gave a lesson for anybody driving on slick terrain. My wife knows this too well after last years ice storm in our area. Leaving the house with the Jeep , she went down our steep hill. The engine was in hi idle, and the first time she put on her brakes, it was a total 360, bouncing from tree to tree.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Talked to Gauge yesterday and he said they lost power sometime Friday afternoon. He said that in one 10sq mile area, there are 80 broken line poles.
After 3 years of owning a generator, I finally got a 30amp plug and found out that I haven't been puting a full 220w to the house. Now I'm all rigged up the way a REAL electrician would have done it. Hey, I learn as I go.

Bull, how's the roads up in the city today? All the highways around here are clean, just wondering how I40/240 are.

·
Registered
52 Posts
yeah i drove bye gauges house its a ghost town up there out in the county is dark and lines down every where

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Figured he must be without power as he hasn't been on here lately. We went 11 days without power in the ice storm we had in 2003. I have a really nice electric start gen now that I hook up in my shop building to the breaker panel that comes from the main breaker in the house. Don't have to worry about fumes with it out there.

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
Talked to Gauge yesterday and he said they lost power sometime Friday afternoon. He said that in one 10sq mile area, there are 80 broken line poles.
After 3 years of owning a generator, I finally got a 30amp plug and found out that I haven't been puting a full 220w to the house. Now I'm all rigged up the way a REAL electrician would have done it. Hey, I learn as I go.

Bull, how's the roads up in the city today? All the highways around here are clean, just wondering how I40/240 are.

They are clear with a few spots hear and there. Its the side roads that still are cruddy.

Wife called me at work today freeking out about water in the boys room and wet capet. I come home and the floor is all wet and I hear dripping from the window area. I had a crack in the top window seal and water was dripping from inside the room. I went up to the attic and parted the 2' of insulation to make way back to that part of house. I had to lay down and peek into the back low spots and found water 3/4 of the way round the attic right at the eve/ gutter area. Now I'm freeking out and call the insurance company and they are closed and have 36 hours to get back with us. I got no $$ to call anyone. I went outside and looked in that area and found that I had between 2" and 6" of solid ice all the way around my house. My gutters are blocks of ice with at least 3" on top of that. I grabbed a ladder and a hammer and started braking up the ice. I found that as it was melting and running off it hit the ice dam and was backflowing under the shingles and into the attic. Needless to say I spent 5 hours with a 20oz hammer breaking ice around my house to allow for better run off. My gutters are still ice cubes but at least it can flow across it and over the side. My hands and arms are rubber and hurt. Will have to look again in the am for more leaks once it starts melting again. But I still got to fix this problem in the boys room as well. Not sure what to do as there is no clearance in the attic to get within 3' of the wet areas to anything. I Just bought this house so it looks like my first home owner fixing job.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ugh that sounds like a bummer Bull. We don't have any guttering around the house and the icecicles are about 3/4 of the way to the ground now. Snow is melting pretty well and it's pretty mushey everywhere. Sun was out this morning but clouds and a tiny bit of light snow fell all day. But the generator is ginnin and electric company sez Wed is the day!

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
I heard on the news today that the back-up gens at Medicine park crapped out today, and now they have no water. SUX

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Now Now that totally blows. Sure feel for the folks down Gauges' way. Hope they get back to normal soon.

Big shout out to the line crews working on all this, espically with rain and more snow on the way. And to the office folks taking all the calls. I know of a couple of folks around here that haven't been all that nice to them on the phone. The wifey and I have been trying to get them laughing when we call.

Our power came back on Mon night and then back off an hour and a half later. Was one of 12 houses without power in this section. LIne crew thought they had fixed the problem and left to go on down the road. Power came back today at noon and think it's here for a while now....I hope!

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
Gauge called me today as I was headed out the door to work. Said they got power back on last night and he got to finally take a shower after a week. Told him I figured the smell outside was from him even 90 miles away.

He said cable and phone will be out for some time yet. Lots of trees down or busted up. Plenty of firewood to go around now. Big tree on the corner from him was up rooted.

Hope this next storm passes them by. He said according to the news Cato county was #5 for most damage from that storm.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good to hear that they got power back. It sure makes you feel somewhat more human when it comes back on.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts