Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been following this site for awhile and learned a good deal of stuff. Figured I'd pass it along. www.learntocatchcatfish.com first learned about it from his YouTube videos.

I'm dead set on getting me a big cat this year. Where I fish has them 50+# but even getting a 5# is tough. I had a big one on recently that snapped my 20# line. I've got countless 1# and smaller and recently 6-8" cats are as thick as skeeters.

Reactions: OkieHuntnFish

·
Administrator
13,573 Posts
Like any specie, one has to learn how the fish feed/survive during different times of the year.

I know a lot of people have been turned off from fishing as they don't understand why they can't plunk a worm under a bobber on a lake and catch whatever is in the lake.

I was fortunate enough to get hooked up with a professional crappie guide that took me out for free a couple of times. The crappie catch has grown exponentially.

At the same time, got hooked up with a guy that was a huge jug line fisherman. I've learned from him as well.

Once you learn the fish, and do a little research, its amazing to me how much I didn't know about fishing.

Reactions: Bullbuster

·
Super Moderator
10,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I grew up fishing strictly trout and with a fly rod. Now and again other fish like yellow belly cats and suckers.

Before coming to OK I had spent the previous 5 years strictly saltwater fishing. That was a if you bait it they will bite kind of fishing.

I wanna be like a sponge and soak up all the tips and lessons I can.

·
Administrator
13,573 Posts
Right now and for the next week or maybe two, the cats are in 1-4' of water near rocks. They are in full spawn mode right now.
I just got in from fishing Kaw. There looked to be a noodler on every rock looking for flatheads.

·
Super Moderator
10,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I fished the dam at draper last night and we got 3 channel and a flathead. Boys also got a dozen bluegill. Tried some for live bait but no takers. Did have a blue on as the slime was a give away. Would have been cool to get all 3. We only fished 2 hours so not bad.

·
Administrator
13,573 Posts
The catch is getting better sounds like. :D

·
Super Moderator
10,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I slow trolled in 10' of water along the dam looking for bottom riprap. Anchored up and gave those spots a try. I wondered where all the bluegill were hiding. I found a couple spots just drifting in 75-80' that were holding fish on the bottom. Aside from the dam I know 2 other spots with riprap but it's not much.

·
Administrator
13,573 Posts
Any rocky area besides the rip-rap on the dam will produce. The bigger the rocks, the better. The Rip-Rap on the dams work for smaller fish, but if the lake has big natural rocks, that's where the big fish hang out.

·
Super Moderator
10,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
None that I know of. It's all mud and some hard pan but the bottom is flat. Been plotting and marking holes, trenches and any hump of decent size. I've also scoped out areas I've seen others fishing.

·
Administrator
13,573 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 - 11 of 11 Posts