Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a heads up to everyone that thinks they have full replacement coverage on their homeowner insurance. I've been paying extra for what I thought was full replacement coverage and found out yesterday that it's not quite what I thought. If you have a power surge from "manmade electrical sources" and it fries your electronics, the insurance will only pay $1000 per item with a limit up to $2500 per event. Oh, and I have to get an electrician to come out and inspect the wireing before they pay off!!! So the ice storm power loss cost me a refridgerator, coffee maker,2 circuit boards on the furnace, microwave, 2 32" TV's and a 55" HD bigscreen and I'll be eating the biggest majority of the bill after paying for the full replacement for 11+ years. My insurance company that I have 2 homes and 3 cars covered with is FIRED! Guess I should have piled all of the items in the den and burned 'em, and that would have been covered.

·
Registered
840 Posts
That sucks! Our insurance company dropped us because we were late on just one payment. They refuse to take us back, so now we have to find someone else. After discussing with them about our insurance policy, everything we were paying insurance for, they say wasn't even covered in the first place. Jerks! So what exactly were we paying insurance for!?!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hey guys most all power companies have what is called a whole house surge protector. The reason I know several years ago I had the same problem, lost everything. The one thing you must do though is ask for it, they won't tell you that they have them. (Jerks) It will cost you about $5.00 extra a month but is well worth the cost. I have requested this at three different locations and companies and all did offer the service. If you have a puter, TV, or private water well you will be required to buy additional protectors for those items in addition to the whole house system. But they give a 100% replacement on any item that gets damaged from a surge. As I said before I learned about this the hard way also, but it has saved me several times over the last 15 years.

Larry

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not a bad idea. I'll be asking about those as our electric company has had a history of goofy power, but they have gotten better. But with spring storms just around the corner, that'd be good protection.

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts
Dang that sucks. I'm learning the hard knocks as well with this first time home owner stuff. I have to replace the bottom 3 rows of shingles on my house but the 1 year warranty that came with my house does not cover "Acts of God" only faulty work. My home owners however is what we are trying to figure out what they will cover.
1 thing I liked about the years of military housing and renting is if I had a problem I called and they got it fixed. Now its all on me but I don't have the BS regs to follow now.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh yeah ya do. It's called [glow=red,2,300]CITY CODES!![/glow]

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Only the Shadow knows!!! :eek:

BTW other FB customers. Read in another forum, that FB is raising car insurance rates by a fairly large ammount. Time to do some shopping.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.