Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checked the traps yesterday morning with the Grandson from Dallas. He got pretty interested in it. Not much trapping in his area though. Didn't reset them as It will be this weekend before getting back over there.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
OOOOooo one smelly leg trap!!!!

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, I got upwind of him/her and hit it with a .223 FMJ, and it just rolled over and died without spraying. I was amazed as that is the first time that has happened. Usually have to abandon the set for a few days until the smell goes away. I visited the trapping section at the Okla hunting and fishing expo, and they told me one caught in a live trap, is easy to dispatch. They said to carry a piece of cardboard big enough to cover up your body and slowly walk up to the trap. they use a syringe glue'd on a dowell rod filled with acetone, and said the skunk will back into a corner, where you insert the needle behind the front leg and push. He said they pass away withing 10 seconds very peacefully.
Be my luck the wind would blow the cardboard away, and I'd get a facefull of spray :eek: :-[

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Box & needle eh? Sounds like something you'd tell the guy you took snipe hunting the night before! :D :D

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
I was at a local tack and feed store near my house yesterday and they have all sorts of critter box and foot traps in different sizes. I'd love to get me a few but I got no place around here to use them that I know its legal to do so. Plus having to get a license to do it.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can trap on public land, and I'm betting some of the local land owners wouldn't mind getting rid of some predators that are hurting their quail populations.
The license doesn't cost much.

Checked the traps on New years day with my grandson. One more ****, and another possum.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Cool deal, another way to get rid of them varmints.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
New regs this year for trapping. You no longer have to buy a license.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts