Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Ruger American rifle in 223 that stays in my feed truck and it gets shot a lot. It is a tack driver and i have it sighted in at 2 inches high at 100 yards. I gave the barrel a good deep cleaning with solvent and a copper fouling remover the other night. It was very dirty. Took about 15 minutes and I used an entire pack of 36 patches until it came clean. I shot it the next day and it was 7 inches left and 6 inches low at 100 yards. My question is why would the gun be so far off? It was sighted in last fall after a good cleaning and has probably 300 rounds through it since then. It was still shooting 2 inches high at 100 the day I cleaned it. How can it still shoot the exact same as the day I sighted in as it did the day I cleaned it? Does my question makes sense?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
14,674 Posts
Personally I don’t clean a bore until the accuracy goes away.
I had an issue like your experiencing in the past with a Remington 742 semi auto in 30-06.
After cleaning, the accuracy went from 2 moa to minute of pie plate with the same load.
Started a series of range tests with other loads that only got worse, so the answer had to be with the clean.
As the 742 is gas operated there is a port in the barrel. Buddy had a bore scope so we inspected the bore. What we found was evidently the cleaning rod had flexed and shaved off some of it on the gas port. How that little wad of aluminum stayed in there with jacketed bullets passing over it, I can’t explain, but removing it brought the rifle back to its prior accuracy.
Have you had a chance to examine the chamber and throat to see if any debris is left in there?
Would doing a re-zero regain accuracy or is the bullet wandering?

·
Super Moderator
11,784 Posts
Something certainly isn’t right but I have no clue what that is.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Is the rifle still as consistent in accuracy after the cleaning?

Some bores definitely shoot to a different POI when clean, but seven inches is about the most extreme case I've heard of.

How many rounds since cleaning?

Sorry to hear about your predicament. Hopefully you get it ironed out soon

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’ve shot the gun probably a dozen times since I had this trouble and it’s shooting fine. I still can’t figure out how it got so far off. I’m wanting to put another 15-20 rounds through it shooting varmits and maybe some prairie dogs and clean it again and see what happens. Gonna be sure and explode them gophers and their brains all over the place as soon as you guys on this forum tell where I lay a bunch of them out waste.

·
Super Moderator
11,784 Posts
I’ve shot the gun probably a dozen times since I had this trouble and it’s shooting fine. I still can’t figure out how it got so far off. I’m wanting to put another 15-20 rounds through it shooting varmits and maybe some prairie dogs and clean it again and see what happens. Gonna be sure and explode them gophers and their brains all over the place as soon as you guys on this forum tell where I lay a bunch of them out waste.

They have a game preserve outside of Lawton with all sorts of critters you can shoot at. Just stop by the visiter center and check in first. :alien:

·
Administrator
14,674 Posts
Weird that it shoots good now.

Reactions: retrieverman
1 - 13 of 13 Posts