Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife ran a coyote off from near the chicken pen the other night, then the next morning I saw one, probably the same one. I decided to sit on the porch around 5:30 in the evening. At 6:00, this guy showed up in the pasture clearcut about 110 yds away, looking right at the chicken pen. I took aim at 6x (lowest magnification) and let the .223 bark!

·
Super Moderator
10,991 Posts
Right on man. Nice to see u back on. I'll be back home soon and can get you your bird.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
So what kind of AR you running. And is that one of them Center Point scopes? I've got one and like it pretty well for no more than it cost.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
First of all, nice shot on the yote! ;)

Second, thats one heck of a mechanical sighting disadvantage mounting the scope on the carry handle at close range.

Have you spent some range time getting it all down?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wish I had my own AR, but this one is my pastor's and it's an Olympic Arms, and has the 16" barrel. The scope is a BSA, and used to be on my nephew's .30-06. I bought the carry handle scope mount for $18 and tried it out. I had the gun sighted bare sights out to 75 yds, but thought I might need more range here on my property where I have a lot of open ground. Second coyote I shot with that gun at over 100 yds, both at 6x. I have yet to crank it and see what it can do.

As far as close range, even with the scope mount on, you can see right through the scope mount and use the bare sights if need be. When I do buy my own AR, though, I'm getting a flat top, and maybe a 20" barrel. The good news is there is only one screw for the scope mount, and it only goes on one way, so when I take it off to put in the gun safe, then put it on later, it keeps its zero.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
I've got the same scope mount set up for my detachable carry handle. Kind of makes getting a good cheek weld by being up so high but is pretty handy for using the irons. Might try those irons on out a ways. With some practice you can get pretty good out to 300yrd or more. Right Dennis? ??? ?

BTW, cool preacher that has and loans out his AR!!!!

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
I've got the same scope mount set up for my detachable carry handle. Kind of makes getting a good cheek weld by being up so high but is pretty handy for using the irons. Might try those irons on out a ways. With some practice you can get pretty good out to 300yrd or more. Right Dennis? ??? ?

BTW, cool preacher that has and loans out his AR!!!!
Its a different story on shooting with a scope on a flat top, vs a carry handle.
Basic training using peeps on a carry handle, we had to zero at some stupid metric zero that nobody understood, 250 comes to mind, but when shooting rapid fire at the 25 meter targets, one had to aim a foot below the target to hit it. We only had peep sights. No optics. It was the mechanical advantage related to the sights being above the line of sight.

Shooting matches on an indoor range, I had my AR sighted at 30 yds dead on in preperation.
Getting there, the range was 15 yards. One has to take in consideration the mechanical advantage at close range.
You will shoot low. Its not much, but when the targer is 1" in diameter, it can be a miss.

Bolt guns have a drop in the stock, and those with bolt guns only, won't notice any difference, but the AR platform is an inline sighting system, originally and if one wants to put optics, or BUIS on their gun, they require an elevated scope mounts designed for the platform.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dennis, it does make it easier to line up on a target, but I agree with you about shooting at closer range. The one I was looking at on ImpactGuns.com isn't a true flat-top, but it has an elevated rail built on. I can get the upper and lower separate, both Rock River, for a total of around $850. They also make raised scope mounts with that in mind.

Bird, he also has an AK-47, but I have never been interested in those. For some reason, I have just always liked the ARs. I guess it's the look! The versatility is great too!

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Good deer whacker too with the right bullet. ;)

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Richard, I hear ya on the AK's, not my cup o'tea either. Yes, they are ______ fill in the blank for those of you that like them better than an AR. I just haven't shot one that the stock fit and to me the kick makes them unpleasant to shoot. And for the calibre argument, build a 6.8 upper and the AR will do what a 7.62 will, just not as cheaply.

Dennis, if I remember right, we zero'd at 25m and that was suppose to be dead on again at 250m but would hit a sillouette out to 300m and hold at the top of the head @ 500m???? Or am I old and smokin' crack?

·
Registered
5,278 Posts

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Richard, I hear ya on the AK's, not my cup o'tea either. Yes, they are ______ fill in the blank for those of you that like them better than an AR. I just haven't shot one that the stock fit and to me the kick makes them unpleasant to shoot. And for the calibre argument, build a 6.8 upper and the AR will do what a 7.62 will, just not as cheaply.

Dennis, if I remember right, we zero'd at 25m and that was suppose to be dead on again at 250m but would hit a sillouette out to 300m and hold at the top of the head @ 500m???? Or am I old and smokin' crack?
nope, your exactly right.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts