Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

Christmas break a couple years ago

12K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  kwaynem 
#1 ·
I generally get off work for a couple weeks for Christmas break. I usually spend that time duck hunting and rabbit hunting. A couple of years ago the rabbits weren’t here and the ducks weren’t either. My boy (12 then) had never seen any trapping done so I made 7 sets behind my house and ran them for 8 days. We caught 3 coyotes and three bobcats. This is one of the cats.

I was pleasantly surprised when I sold the cat hides. $115 apiece. Haven’t put any traps out since but it’s another one of the things I look forward to doing more of when I retire.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have some cat sets out now.
Some **** cuffs as well,but a squirrel is all I’ve caught so far.
Good job on your cats. It’s the only thing making money now for furs in this area.

#4 ·
Don't have any mink in my area. ***** were bringing $10-12 bucks two years ago, but now the buyers don't even want them unless our willing to part with them for a buck or two.
Not worth the gas.
I'm 45 miles from my hunting/trapping area and my truck doesn't get the best mileage, so most of my trapping is for control and fun, not $$$

Reactions: okbob
#5 ·
Yes, even putting out those traps a couple years ago it wasn’t for the $. What I got for the cats was a pleasant surprise. Just wanted to show my boy some critters you don’t see in the day time. I also like the challenge of trying to catch a specific critter. I remember one fox I knew was using on the ridge by our cemetery when I was in college. I tried to catch that dude all that season ... no luck. My trap would be thrown or the bait from the hole set would be dug out but the trap would be undisturbed. One time he dug the trap out of the ground. Never caught him. I still dream about that trapping season, not because of the critters I caught but because of that one gray fox I didn’t catch.

#6 ·
Helped my son put out some cat cages yesterday. Too bad they're not paying what they were 4 or 5 years ago, but it's fun all the same and close to the house. My daughter and I caught a bunch that year, and sold several from $200-$385. Between a limit of ***** and several cats, she made out like a "bandit" lol.

#12 ·
Thanks. I graduated HS in ‘84 and trapped for money during my nearly month long breaks from college at Christmas time. I sold several **** through ‘88 for $30. Got upwards around $175 average for cats and $40 for gray fox. I even sold possums for $2. I’d still skin them for that. Not bad money for a college kid doing something he liked. Those were really good years for fur selling.

Reactions: kwaynem
#8 ·
My buddy just sent me a video of a cat he caught this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
We were supposed to put out a few cat sets this weekend while chasing hogs on my buddy's place, but I forgot and left my footholds at home and we ended up not even having time to set a line anyways. I went and bought a dozen new traps last year and haven't set a one yet this year. It's too far for me to drive, nearly 2 hours to all my properties where I can trap. I've got some local properties I am waiting for a green light on, the traps will just have to stay in the shed a while longer.

#10 ·
My son really wants to get into trapping and has been glued to youtube watching videos for awhile now. He has a small box trap and I have 2 small leg holds but I haven’t a clue when it comes to trapping. I know I had a lot of **** and several bobcats on camera this year.

Reactions: okbob
#11 · (Edited)
Same buddy that trapped the cat, called one in this afternoon.
All he could see was the head. That .204 did some major damage. He put the ugly part down so it would be PC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.