Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found out early about my Christmas present from the wifey. I'm in the crossbow club! Barnett Quad 400 kit with the red dot scope, crank cocker, quiver,4 bolts and a case. Now if UPS would deliver :(

·
Super Moderator
10,970 Posts
Sorry but they delivered it to my house. Note attached said my lump of coal was being delivered to your house. ;D

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Found out early about my Christmas present from the wifey. I'm in the crossbow club! Barnett Quad 400 kit with the red dot scope, crank cocker, quiver,4 bolts and a case. Now if UPS would deliver :(
Sweet! Been there for a couple of years. ;)

Getting back into bow hunting has been a real pleasure. Not much pressure on the deer from other hunters, etc. ;D

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bull, got my own truckload o'coal commin. Just slipped this present under the radar.

Think I'll go out to either James Collins or Okmulgee in a week or two with the new crossbow.

Then the other day I traded a 44 Mag Virginia Dragoon and ammo for a Tarus Judge. 3" 2 1/2 chamber blued. Pretty slick lil gun.

·
Super Moderator
10,970 Posts
Bull, got my own truckload o'coal commin. Just slipped this present under the radar.

Think I'll go out to either James Collins or Okmulgee in a week or two with the new crossbow.

Then the other day I traded a 44 Mag Virginia Dragoon and ammo for a Tarus Judge. 3" 2 1/2 chamber blued. Pretty slick lil gun.

You lucky SOB. I really want one. But I'd be hard pressed to trade my Redhawk .44 for one. Heck I be hard pressed to trade any of my toys for one.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts

You lucky SOB. I really want one. But I'd be hard pressed to trade my Redhawk .44 for one. Heck I be hard pressed to trade any of my toys for one.

I ended up with a Judge, stainless, 3X3 awhile back. With the new ammo designed for it, I'd sure hate to be on the receiving end. :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Cool deal Bird.
I hope to get me one soon as well.
I see Excalibur is making a thumbhole laminated grey stock in the 225lbs draw weight @ 375fps.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wonder why they don't make a solo cam xbow. Works for regular bows....just sayin'...

Bull might have to take you to Prague Ok to Davenports. They have another blued 3" for just a hair under $400.

Dennis, haven't gotten to shoot mine yet and it's killin me. Been practicing with the xbow. I do want to try some slugs and the home defense loads for grins and giggles. I would have preferred a SS version but the price was toooo good for this one.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
I wonder why they don't make a solo cam xbow. Works for regular bows....just sayin'...

Bull might have to take you to Prague Ok to Davenports. They have another blued 3" for just a hair under 0.

Dennis, haven't gotten to shoot mine yet and it's killin me. Been practicing with the xbow. I do want to try some slugs and the home defense loads for grins and giggles. I would have preferred a SS version but the price was toooo good for this one.
You got a sweet deal. I'd have taken the same thing.
Its a pretty sharp recoil, but the grips really help tame it down. I'm thinking if a guy put some wood grips on it, that it would probably be almost unmanageable. Lots of lead going out the short barrel, at a pretty high speed for a revolver.

Conventional .410 loads for shotguns, will be disappointing in the judge.
I have a .410 and lots of different ammo from slugs to bird shot, to #4.
I was totally disappointed in the performance of it when first getting the gun.
Now that Hornady and Win have came out with ammo designed for it, it has became a gun I could rely on in a bad situation.
First round in the cylinder is a Federal 000 buck, and the rest are Hornady Leverevolution rounds designed for short barreled pistols.
Bad a$$ weapon.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Picked up some Winchester Supreme HD ammo, with the 3 disks and shot to try out. Still looking for some slugs. Leverevolution 410 ammo...hummmm. I likey that stuff.

·
Super Moderator
10,970 Posts
I seen a video test on I think youtube of that Winchester HD ammo. The shot it into a ballistic gel dummy torso and one of the disks passed all the way through and into the spine. I wanna say it was from 10' away. The perp would not have walked away from that shot.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Picked up some Winchester Supreme HD ammo, with the 3 disks and shot to try out. Still looking for some slugs. Leverevolution 410 ammo...hummmm. I likey that stuff.
The Leverevolution ammo is in .45colt.
I haven't tried the Win disk ammo yet.
What I noticed is the the federal 000 in my test, does not spread out much at 15 feet. It pretty much puts all the pellets in the same hole.
3 to 7 yds is considered the self defense range.
The win disk with pellets, might spread out some more at close ranges. Sounds from the test Bullbuster saw, the penetration is more than enough. I'll look at it pretty close next time I see a box in the store, and do a little test to compare.
I have a real high tech testing operation.
Have a barn that has collapsed , and shoot into the side of it ;D

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gonna have to find some of the LR .45 Colt, been trying to get the crossbow huntable this weekend while I'm hanging around the house taking care of my two BIL's who are having some health issues.

I've had to shim the scope up in the back to be able to use the top two cross hairs. Lost my first bolt on the first shot as I was a foot high. Then while sighting in with ThunderHead 100's I was getting two distinct groupings. Numbered my bolts and found that #1&3 would group in a nice lil 1" group 5" high & left, and bolts 2& 4 would be low and right by 2" in a nice 1"group. Swapped and mixed and matched 10 different broad heads with the same results. Bought some Easton bolts and tipped them with Vortex 100 grn heads and all is well...finally!

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Good. Hope to your first harvest with it.
Maybe when ya come down in Jan for some hog hunting.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
I use the easton bolts as well.
That is what came with my setup, and I bought another half dozen to make sure I had enough.
Excaliber recomends a 150 grain broadhead called the bolt cutter. They say a weight forward is most accurate, but your getting good results with a 100 grain.
I have some Montec G5's in 125 grain. Love those broadheads. ;)
I might screw one of them on and see if they are accurate.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Spoke with the guys at Davenports and they reccomend that you use as short a broadhead as possible. That way your FOC balance isn't changed that much as when tipped with field tips. Checked the balance point from field tip vs Vortex and it's a 1/2 difference. Shooting there is 2-3" lower than field tips.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Shot field points in mine once, but have practiced with the broadheads ever since. got one of those Yellow Jacket foam blocks from wally world.
I really don't see why anybody would want to buy one of those Block targets on all of the hunting shows for $130, when the $40 one from wally world works fine. I've shot mine about 60 times or so with a broadhead, and its still good to go.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Dennis,The G5 Montec 125 grain work great,at least on my x- son in laws Excaliber set for 225 pound draw weight.
He shot through both shoulder bones on the bull elk he got on Ft.Sill @ 40 yards. A complete pass through.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Those G5's have to be the best constructed broadheads on the market. Easy to sharpen if you have a diamond hone.
Not so easy with a standard hone, but doable. They have some fine steel.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Probably the best broadhead on the market hands down.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts