Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me who I can contact or a point of referance as to the laws of hunting within city limits. Can't find anything in the hunting regs book.

I just moved to OKC and everyday this week I have passed deer on my way to work. So far its been does in the morning that i can tell. Last night I saw what looked like an 8pt but couldn't get a good look without being run over. It was a buck no dought.

I'd love to get a shot with my bow but haven't found anything about urban hunting. I did call fish and game today and the guy I spoke to was dumb founded with my question. I asked who i could talk to and he said he had no clue. He had never heard anyone ask about it before.

So any info would be great.

·
Administrator
14,278 Posts
You might have to contact the city offices in the area where you are seeing some deer. I'd think the city managers office should have some information or mayby the parks and recreation offices?

·
Super Moderator
11,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll have to give them a call on Monday. Be nice to find me a place to help fill the freezer this fall.

·
Administrator
14,278 Posts
Lake arcadia was a hotspot for big bucks, and then they started developing it. All the people just loved seeing the pretty deer and petitioned the Wildlife dept to shut down the hunting....money talks, and it happened. Fast forward, and now they want the state to send in "snipers" to thin out the deer as they are eating thousands of dollars of shrubs a year and a fence won't stop them. I read somewhere that archers are allowed in there to help, but you might check with the city of Edmond to see if that is the true story.

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
Glad to see you made it to Oklahoma finally. TRanes on the NAHC boards. Where 240 crosses Douglas there is a pretty good flock of turkeys and a lot of deer that I see almost every day.

Just south of OKC you can archery/shotgun slug hunt at Lake Thunderbird too. Then just a bit further south is Lexington WMA. You might stop by the dept of wildlife and pick up a public land atlas the has maps of all the public hunting areas in the state. Quite a few within a couple of hours drive from OKC.

·
Super Moderator
11,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just drove in from Kansas and I figured it was a decent drive but at like 113 miles to the boarder that ain't nuthin. Was told that out west the black kettle wma was a good place to try but that was like a 3 hour drive if I recall. I need to get some info about Ft. Sill.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
You need to come see me about Ft.Sill or get with Bird.
We both have hunted Ft.Sill & your only a little over 1hr from here.

·
Registered
918 Posts
you can still hunt in arcadia you need to put in for the drawing at the lake office which may have already happened my cousin lives on the lake and a kid he knows shot a 16 point there a fews ago with his rifle i have shot a few deer in edmond with my bow and my cousin shot one a couple years ago that grossed near 180 with his bow it made the oklahoma game and fish mag it was fricking huge typical

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
You need to come see me about Ft.Sill or get with Bird.
We both have hunted Ft.Sill & your only a little over 1hr from here.
Yep get qual'd to hunt Sill and we could share the drive down there.

·
Super Moderator
11,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hunting in okc city limits (fat chance) you could use a bow and might getaway with it
Thats exactly how I'd hunt as well. I got tied up and missed the Lake Stanley Draper duck draw last Sat.
Still ain't getting call backs from OKC parks and rec office about hunting within city limits. Can get calls back about everything but that from them. Stinks as I know a couple doe looking to fill my freezer if I could get the green light to do so.

Looks like I may just have to go south.

·
Administrator
14,278 Posts
Let me be the first to welcome you to the forum!
Tell us a little about yourself ;D

·
Super Moderator
11,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Welcome to the forum as well. Feel free to post away.

I have thought about Thunderbird. Seen lots of deer and turkey when down that way with my boat. Too bad ya cant hunt the turk's.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts