Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Cold Steel Kukri from Natches shooters supply. Very disappointed. The blade is absolutely horrible. The edge is rolled over almost the entire length. Can't believe Cold Steel would put their name on this POS. Will be taking my Dremel to it shortly. Now I see why it was only $14 and some change.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Thanks for the review. I'm in the market for a new folder.
I put a Damascus Boker in my luggage before getting on a plane, and it never made it to my final destination. Perfectly legal to have it in there, so I have to conclude it was stolen.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh that doesn't make me feel good at all. I'm going on vac in 2 days and checking my gun. But I'm taking my cheapest one. My Keltec Pf9 just in case that happens.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
I think a person would have less problem with a gun as they have to be checked separately. At least it could be tracked if it did dissapear. Loose items in a bag going through multiple searches might be easier to get away with.

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
It's crazy what they won't allow anymore. Every time I fly commercial for Mil purposes I get randomly selected for a search. Random my rear. Back when I used to be a full time smoker I was searched because I had 3 cartons on cigs in my bag. They wanted to know why u had so many. I said because they were $10 a carton. I had them confiscate a handcuff key, old school Army field can opener and some cigars because I couldn't prove they weren't Cubans as they didn't have labels on them and I didn't have a receipt.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Handcuff keys in possession of a civilian in Florida is a felony unless they are affiliated with a LEO.

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
At the time I was military police, a member of the base sharp shooting security team and Auxillary Security Force base platoon commander. I was flying from Portland, OR to Los Angeles, CA. I was even in uniform with the badge on. I just a new one when I got back so no big deal.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Smoke, get home with your gun?
I'm carrying my grandpa's buck that has a knife cutting a bolt logo on it right now, but still looking. Boker has a seconds on their damascus folders. Thats what I'm looking at now. Waiting on a deal to come through. Full price is around a hundred, but the seconds go for around $40 with some defects in the wood.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes. Made it just fine. I couldn't believe how easy it was here in okc. I said I need to check a firearm. She said ok and handed me an orange tag that I had to sign saying it was locked in a case, unloaded and I had the only keys to it. I did and then she said to put it on top the case in my luggage. She never even looked at it. I could t believe it. In Denver, same thing, except someone took me and bag to another room. They put it in a huge X-ray machine to verify it was locked up and unloaded. He ran it through and said it was good to go. She took bag back to counter and I went to board plane.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
I never dreamed it would be that easy.
Hell, I had to go through a TSA sponsored groping because I left a dime in my front pocket. The "look at you nekkid" machine picked it up. Now, if that machine is so sophisticated, why couldn't it determine it was just a coin?

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally found the time to work over this crappy blade. Been to hot to go outside and do anything else. Then I decided to do a little art work on it. After degreasing it, I hit it with Brownells OD baking lacquer. It says to put it in oven at 350. But since it has a rubber grip that was out of the question. But it was at least 110 outside so I sprayed the blade and clamped it to my chain link fence in the direct sunlight. I guarantee that will bake it on. I left it that way for a couple of hours. Then I got some masking tape and striped the blade. Then I sprayed Brownells Aluma-Hyde II over the tape and blade. After it dried I removed the tape. Looks pretty cool. It's out on the fence still in the heat and wind. Takes 24 hrs to fully cure. I took a before and after pic I will post tomorrow. I also emailed Cold Steel and told them how crappy this blade was when I got it. Can't wait to see the response, if I ever get one.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Cool! Like you said, the heat should work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts