Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, just curious to everyone's opinion on a fighting knife. I don't mean a general purpose or skinning knife. I'm talking about one designed for killing when the SHTF. There are lots out there, what do you guys think? You just can't beat a Kabar, but there are lots of good ones out there. I've also had my eye on the new Gerber Prodidgy Tanto. It was made to US Army specs and looks like an excellent fighting knife. If the SHTF right now, what would be on your belt ?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Extra 12 gauge buck shot loads for my shotgun. I may be old fashion but I can't see using a knife when you have a closet full of guns..

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know that's right. The quickest reload is another gun. ;)

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I'd have to go with one of the Benchmade knifes. Some of the sharpes blades I've ever seen and they hold their edge really well.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Well, to be honest about it, when the SHTF, and you can't reach your weapon, the knife in your hand is what I would use.
Home invasion, a big old butcher knife, or even a bread knife is better than nothing.

The old M7 bayonet for the M-16 dispatched a lot of folks in silk pajama's, when it got down to hand to hand.
(interesting side note, its against the Geneva Convention to issue a shapened bayonet. It would be cruel and inhumane) You can stick em, but ya can't slice em.LOL!

I'm a slacker when it comes to a SD knife for daily carry. I've carried a pocket knife every day, when legal, my entire life, and reget not having a better one in my pocket when going into stores with gun buster signs.

I have a locking Boker Damascus with a 3 1/2" blade that I carry, but the lock recently failed, so its going back for warranty. I would consider it marginal, other than its like a razor blade.
So in the meantime, its a little buck suitable for fingernail cleaning and opening letters. :'(

I really need to start looking around, and finding something better to carry.

The bottom line for carrying a blade to kill, is to know where and how to use it. Sticking in the gut is gonna hurt, but not going to stop the fight. Knowledge of the location for ateries, tendons to cripple, and major veins is where one has get training.

In the Army we had dummies that simulated the texture of the human body down to the bones.
It was amazing how many came up behind the dummy and the bayonet only hit the sternum, or a bigger bone, and did not penetrate any further.

Had that happend in real time. You would definatly be in a SHTF situation.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sportsmansguide has a really good price on the SOG Tomahawks if anyone is interested. Especially if your a club member. They are great for keeping in camp. I have 2 of the tomahawks and one fasthawk, which is just a smaller version. If we have a zombie invasion, they will work great for that too. ;)

·
Super Moderator
10,971 Posts
I used to have a Rambo style knife but it got stolen. I have a sping assisted bench made at the ready in my truck. Compliments from the streets of Baghdad. My brother gave it to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts