Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put my practice blades on and shot from 20 out to 45 yards, and back in again just to make sure that everything was working as it should with the BDC (I know, crossbow not gun) reticle in the scope. I feel confident out to 50 yards, but am planning on keeping my maximum range to 40. My four blinds/stands are 17 - 26 yards from my most likely shots.

My group from all 10 shots over this practice session was about 2", mostly vertical. This is my first crossbow and I'm "pleased as pie".

Here's a photo of my 45 yard shot. My five year old insisted on jumping on the block as I was taking the picture. She's going to be a handful, but I have guns for that.

Specs: Excalibur Suppressor 400 TD, 100gr NAP Killzone, 366gr total weight, 385 FPS.

20210331_162840.jpg

·
Super Moderator
10,661 Posts
I had to re zero my BDC scope on my TenPoint when I switched brands of arrows and heads even though they were the same weights. We have life size 3Ds on our 100y archery range at various ranges that I like shooting at. My 50y pin hits 3” low at 60y so if push ever came to shove and I had to do a long finishing shot I know I can. I’m like you and my blind is only 22y from my bait setup and that’s all the farther I’d like to shoot.

Reactions: diggler1833

·
Administrator
13,740 Posts
The BDC scope on the Excalibur X bow worked perfectly out to 60 yards. I limit myself to 30 though.
When I broke the string in the field on a controlled hunt and fixed it in the field, I rezero’d that evening at camp. I was about 6” low at 60 yds, 4” low at 50 and so on.
I got on the Excalibur forums on their website and asked why.
It seems each replacement string may not be the same exact length. In my case they said to remove the string, give it a couple twists and reinstall. It got better.
Took 6 twists to get it back in “tune”. It has to be twisted in one direction only and I don’t remember which way.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The BDC scope on the Excalibur X bow worked perfectly out to 60 yards. I limit myself to 30 though.
When I broke the string in the field on a controlled hunt and fixed it in the field, I rezero’d that evening at camp. I was about 6” low at 60 yds, 4” low at 50 and so on.
I got on the Excalibur forums on their website and asked why.
It seems each replacement string may not be the same exact length. In my case they said to remove the string, give it a couple twists and reinstall. It got better.
Took 6 twists to get it back in “tune”. It has to be twisted in one direction only and I don’t remember which way.
That...is a helpful tip I'll tuck into the back of my brain. Thanks.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had to re zero my BDC scope on my TenPoint when I switched brands of arrows and heads even though they were the same weights. We have life size 3Ds on our 100y archery range at various ranges that I like shooting at. My 50y pin hits 3” low at 60y so if push ever came to shove and I had to do a long finishing shot I know I can. I’m like you and my blind is only 22y from my bait setup and that’s all the farther I’d like to shoot.
I bet arrows/bolts and broadheads are just as finicky as changing bullet brands in a rifle...although the trajectory of a crossbow exacerbates shift in POI.

Just like my rifle, I got DOPE (Data On Previous Engagements) out to my maximum comfort range, and then shot to verify back in.

Where I plan on doing most of my hunting I'll not have the chance at much more than a 30 yard shot, which is good because if I hit a deer poorly, I'll never find it in the greenbriars and brush.

I do have a 1.25 acre food plot that I'm working on (cows are on it right now providing free fertilizer). 40 yards isn't going to cover much of it, but I figure I'll move my corn from where I'll be rifle hunting over to my crossbow corner of the plot after rifle season is over.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I’ve never used a BDC scope, because I don’t care for “busy” reticles. Like Dennis, I’m only shooting animals out to 30-ish yards and have never had a problem using a regular rifle scope with a plex reticle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts