Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Administrator
13,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a couple of new items added this year.

New this year, applicants can choose to add PointGuard or Preference Point Only options when they apply.

PointGuard protects a winning hunter’s preference points and eligibility for future drawings in case the hunter cannot attend the hunt he or she draws. PointGuard is like an insurance policy that can be claimed anytime before the day of the winner’s hunt. This protection costs an additional $5 and can be purchased when applying or before the application deadline.

Preference Point Only (PPO) is for hunters who choose not to enter in a hunt category but still want to obtain an additional preference point for future drawings in that category. This option is only available during the application period from April 1 to May 20. To choose the PPO option, the hunter will apply as usual for the standard $5 fee, but the hunter will now have an option to select PPO in each category. Hunters may purchase only one point per category per year. PPO is designed for hunters who already know when they apply that they will not be able to attend hunts during certain times of the year if selected for those hunts.

Controlled hunts are held on Wildlife Department or other government-owned or managed lands where unrestricted hunting would pose safety concerns or where overharvest might occur otherwise.

Anyone who experiences difficulty in applying should call the Help Desk at (833) 721-1035 or email [email protected].

Log on to www.wildlifedepartment.com/ControlledHunts for complete application instructions, including tips on enhancing chances of being selected. Last year, more than 5,700 controlled hunt permits were available, and a similar number of hunts will be drawn for this year.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I just applied for the deer, elk and turkey.

·
Administrator
13,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Super Moderator
10,643 Posts
I’ve still got a couple points for deer that will never be used. I do have my lifetime VA license still.

Was supposed to get the draw results today for the new bait area I was after but WGFD played a nice April fools joke and changed the posting to tomorrow.

Who’s applying for what or what are you planing to hunt this year?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'll only be putting in for elk for me and the Mrs. Does anyone have a link to the controlled hunt walk-in program guidelines/regulations for elk? I've been looking for 30 mins and can't find anything. It's obvious you aren't able to drive in or use ATV but would like to know the specifics. Don't mind breaking down an elk and hauling it out on packs if that's what it takes.

·
Super Moderator
10,643 Posts
Got my second bait site I was wanting. Now I’ve got a 2x1 mile area I control and am set from here on out. 4/8 starts baiting season and 4/15 starts archery.

Should we draw all are tags we will have a very full freezer. We will have 4 antelope, 3 elk, 2 mule deer and 1 bear.

Reactions: kwaynem

·
Administrator
13,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll only be putting in for elk for me and the Mrs. Does anyone have a link to the controlled hunt walk-in program guidelines/regulations for elk? I've been looking for 30 mins and can't find anything. It's obvious you aren't able to drive in or use ATV but would like to know the specifics. Don't mind breaking down an elk and hauling it out on packs if that's what it takes.
If selected, you attend a meeting with the folks that work on the refuge.
They will visit with you about their best opinions where one may be successful.
Then one goes out into the refuge with a group that is selected for that zone.
You tell the driver to stop, scout, get picked up and say this is my zone and a marker cone is put out.
The morning of the hunt your dropped off at that cone. If you kill an elk, you must have that elk back at that cone before the last run of the day or you have to leave it.
Not good to leave as the pigs and varmints are everywhere.
More rules I’ll talk about in a couple days.
Restricted to my phone currently.

·
Administrator
13,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kill one close to the road!

·
Super Moderator
10,643 Posts
But beware of the chupacabra’s

·
Administrator
13,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They pretty much tell everyone I need a cow hunter here and or a bull hunter here listen to them they are there to help
Are the rules I posted still valid? You have been there recently. One never knows when they might change.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks all. I'm leaning towards the walk in offerings but if I shoot an elk at dusk and can't get broken down before they come to pick me up then I won't do it. Wanton waste is not something I'll participate in nor let a once in a lifetime OK elk hunt end with coyotes or pigs eating it instead of me! I'll reach out to the ODWC also.

·
Super Moderator
10,643 Posts
Can always leave an article of clothing with it to keep human scent around. Can cover it with a tarp or other items as well.
The wanten waste bugs me too as too many people only take the prime cuts and leave the rest. Around here winter kill is a reality and on a drive yesterday found 3 dead elk (1 cow/2 calf) and nearly a dozen antelope.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Are the rules I posted still valid? You have been there recently. One never knows when they might change.
Pretty much but I heard you can put in with another hunter but you pack in from the main road and back out to the main road not sure if it’s true or not

·
Registered
107 Posts
Got an email in to the ODWC asking for some guidance. Got rid of all my backpacking stuff when I moved from CO. All of my past elk hunts the last 8 years has been on private and I could drive my ATV to them. Still have an old Dwight Schuh pack I could use. Those hunts just had a slightly better chance than the others it seemed.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Email reply from ODWC: The main difference between the regular elk hunt and the walk in only elk hunt is that you will be unable to use a vehicle to help move the carcass during a walk in only hunt. The harvest must be carried out on foot.
Drawing odds from last year: Walk in. 1.3% and 1.26%. Not walk in. .3% and .24%.
Not exactly upping the odds much for walk in only! :)

·
Administrator
13,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bull hunts are typically 100%. Cow hunts seem to be tougher as the success ratio isn't very good.
I'm kind of confused by the reply you got from ODW.
Are they allowing ATV's now to help remove the animal after harvest? If it's walk in, does that mean from the kill to the road where the pick up point is?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Dennis, that was all she said in the reply. Sorry I don't know more but she did say additional details will be mailed out to those who draw. I'll just draw one of the tags this fall and let you know with precise details!! :)

·
Super Moderator
10,643 Posts
May we all get lucky and draw out.

Now wouldn’t that be something as well.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts