Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Anything's possible Bullbuster! Would even be cool to know 1 other person going. If drawn, I'll have to hit Youtube up for a refresher on caping. Breaking it down into quarters isn't too bad and can't really do anything wrong(just toss into burger pile). I'm sure you've experienced some pretty lousy attempts at caping with your taxidermy business.

·
Super Moderator
10,661 Posts
Anything's possible Bullbuster! Would even be cool to know 1 other person going. If drawn, I'll have to hit Youtube up for a refresher on caping. Breaking it down into quarters isn't too bad and can't really do anything wrong(just toss into burger pile). I'm sure you've experienced some pretty lousy attempts at caping with your taxidermy business.
Had a few horror stories. One reason I transitioned to just birds and euros. A taxidermist can do a lot but they are not miracle working magicians. I had a few that couldn’t be salvaged due to poor/lack of care. Can’t leave it in a cooler of ice water for a week and expect it to be good. Hard to due a euro on a head shot deer. Can’t do a Turkey tail fan when you Texas heart shoot it.
Had poached/ illegal vehicle kills that I had to report. Nothing like a warden showing up with a warrant to confiscate stuff.
I just do my own/ kids work now.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Had a buddy that scored a big cow on a walk in. He used a home made game cart and was supprised at how big a help that was getting the elk out.

·
Registered
111 Posts
That's gotta beat a backpack!! Guess you can go back to your vehicle or take with you when dropped off. Either way, it'd be a big plus if the terrain works for it. Useless on most CO elk hunts I've been on.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Low percentages for Wichita draw, my quest continues! Pretty sure this will be year 26 or 27

·
Administrator
13,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Low percentages for Wichita draw, my quest continues! Pretty sure this will be year 26 or 27
I have one more point than you. I'll go to my grave before drawing an elk or antelope it appears.

·
Administrator
13,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
That's gotta beat a backpack!! Guess you can go back to your vehicle or take with you when drop*
ped off. Either way, it'd be a big plus if the terrain works for it. Useless on most CO elk hunts I've been on.
Ok, here is my experience at elk recovery at Wichita Mtn Refuge.
99% of the deer carts aren't rated for a 500lb elk carcass. The ground is rocky so the wheels typically fail.
Myself and another guy recovered three elk in two days for other folks while waiting on my hunter to score on the last day.
I took a cart sold by Cabelas called the mule. I think it's sold under a different name now, but it had 20" bicycle wheels on it. rated for about 400 lbs.
It also had an option of dual wheels that raised the weight limit to 550 lbs if I remember right. I got the duals, ditched the tire/tube and got the semi solid tires from a bicycle shop that can't go flat.
First recovery was on top of a plateau. No chance of a cart, 80 year old hunter and 50 year old daughter was his helper. Huge rocks preventing a cart so we left it at the bottom and went up.
Once up there we used what is called a deer sleigh'r. Amazon.com : DEER SLEIGH'R Magnum Game Sled : Hunting Game Carts : Sports & Outdoors
It's an 1/8" thick flexible piece of plastic with grommets around the side to lay flat, roll the animal on to and lace it in. That elk pulled so easily down those rocks that we had to use the daughter in the back with a rope to keep the elk from over running us in places. At the bottom of that rocky hill, we put the elk on the cart, laced it in and pulled it over the rocks to the road. Rocks everywhere so one has to work around the big ones and go over the smaller ones. I think we could have used that deer sleigh'r the entire route, but the cart was there so we used it.
Second recovery was 1/2 mile from the road on a flat but rocky terrain. The cart made the entire journey.
Third recovery was a ODWC employee that shot a bull in an impossible location. How he got there I have no idea, but it was three levels up a sheer cliff almost. He had it quartered, so it was just a matter of letting the bags down on ropes from one level to the next.
Buddy got his bull on the last day and called for help so off we went. He met us at his drop off point and walked back to the animal. It looked like a huge spider had gone on steroids! There was parachute cord everywhere. He had tied the legs, head, etc off to rocks, bushes, etc so he could get in there for field dressing.
It actually worked pretty good so I always advise folks going elk hunting to take some of that cord.
That's what worked for us.

·
Administrator
13,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Dang Dennis I didn’t know you were sick. Is there anything I can do for you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes, a case of Balvenie 14 yr old Scotch is what the Dr recommended as a slow but certain cure.

Reactions: Bird (this time)

·
Super Moderator
10,661 Posts
I have one more point than you. I'll go to my grave before drawing an elk or antelope it appears.
Better odds drawing as a non resident here in WY for both of them lol

·
Super Moderator
10,661 Posts
Yes, a case of Balvenie 14 yr old Scotch is what the Dr recommended as a slow but certain cure.
Wow, sorry but it’s been nice knowing you.

·
Administrator
13,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Better odds drawing as a non resident here in WY for both of them lol
You have an actual point system. Okla has a "modified" system that is not a true preference point system or I would have drawn by now.

·
Administrator
13,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Hey, I can use it for strictly medicinal purposes for years. It's called pickling the system just like those pickles in the back of your fridge that have been there for 10 years or so.
It's a natural preservative!

Reactions: Bullbuster

·
Registered
111 Posts
Wow Dennis - that had to be a LONG 3 days! I'd never try to get the entire elk on a game cart, was just thinking about quarters. Given how long you all have been putting in, I am not holding out much hope.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Bull hunts are typically 100%. Cow hunts seem to be tougher as the success ratio isn't very good.
I'm kind of confused by the reply you got from ODW.
Are they allowing ATV's now to help remove the animal after harvest? If it's walk in, does that mean from the kill to the road where the pick up point is?
The way I understood it was you walk in from the road and pack it back out to the road no vehicle of any kind

·
Administrator
13,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Wow Dennis - that had to be a LONG 3 days! I'd never try to get the entire elk on a game cart, was just thinking about quarters. Given how long you all have been putting in, I am not holding out much hope.
I was about 20 years younger. Sure wouldn't try that now!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
It's funny, me and a buddy put in for an archery mule deer tag in CO on a whim. I've never, and do not plan to ever put in for a drawing in Oklahoma. Don't know why, I just don't care to. The only OK draws that have ever crossed my mind were McAlester and speed goat hunts in the panhandle. My buddy drew out McAlester last year, but got postponed until this year because of COVID. He said now he doesn't even want to go, too bad he can't transfer it to me or I'd think about going.

Side note: the same buddy has been putting in for Wichita Elk for 42 years and has never been drawn.

·
Administrator
13,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
It's funny, me and a buddy put in for an archery mule deer tag in CO on a whim. I've never, and do not plan to ever put in for a drawing in Oklahoma. Don't know why, I just don't care to. The only OK draws that have ever crossed my mind were McAlester and speed goat hunts in the panhandle. My buddy drew out McAlester last year, but got postponed until this year because of COVID. He said h now, too bade doesn't even want to go he can't transfer it to me or I'd think about going.

Side note: the same buddy has been putting in for Wichita Elk for 42 years and has never been drawn.
His is not going on his hunt this year? Man, I hate to hear that. Wish there was a way he could relinquish his tag so somebody that would make it could draw his unused tag.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I imagine he'll probably go. But if we draw mule deer tags, we were also planning to draw in at Arcadia, then MCAAP; he was complaining of not having enough vacation. He promised he'd take his wife on a cruise in November and he's got a black bear hunt in Ontario booked for next year. Poor guy has too many plans and not enough vacation time.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts