Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Haven't yet, but Sasakwa and I talked about it today.

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
I'm looking at a couple. Elk and deer.

I really wanted to do the Army depot but its traditional only.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I get paid around the 20th and will apply then.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I applied yesterday...Been doing it for around 37 years..only difference is now I don't get the letter telling me better luck next year and I get charged 5 dollars to not get drawn..Now that's a good deal..

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
Is there a site that list the number of poeple that applied last year and the percentage drawn?
I think that info is listed on the dept. web page for controlled hunts.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I don't think it tells you how many people applied, but it does tell you how many drawn and how many attended, how many tagged, and bucks v. does. So you can look at success rates, number of people to expect, etc. From there you can get a good idea at your chances of being drawn, and tagging out when you draw.

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks. I am used to Alaskas' system they issue a pamphlet that gives you last years percentages as well. It is always subject to change but is a good indicator of you are wasting your money with a less than 1% chance of winning.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Hey Guys, you can go to the Oklahoma wildlife dept web site..Click on control hunts then go to the sight that says Consistency Is The Key.Up Your Odds Of Being Drawn...You have to scroll down to the bottom of the page but you will see that last year on the first bull hunt in Wich. mountains there was a little over 11,000 applications...The next hunt had over 10000 and the last one had over 8000...All the hunts have the number of applications for each hunt but like the elk, you have to do a lot of scrolling down the page..I'll attach the link if I can make it work...Sasakwa

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/odds.pdf

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/odds.pdf

·
Registered
541 Posts
I just check again and there was a little over 11,000 applications for the first bull hunt and they drawed 22...It's looking like the bull hunt for ole Sasakwa will probably be a water haul for this lifetime...22 out of 11,000...pretty slim I'd say..Oh Well, My youngest boy is moving to KetchiKan, Alaska as I type....Guess I can always go up there and hunt a bear and catch a salmon...I think they're suppose to have lots of bears and lots of fish..But..I want a BULL ELK...BAD :'( ..NO REAL BAD :'(

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Yep, been applying since 1970, but i'll put in again. Who knows?

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
2 years ago I applied for the #1 coveted draw hunt in VA. A black bear hunt at the Dismal Swamp NWR. Only 50 tags given for this 2 day hunt. I was one of them lucky 50. Was a hunt from hell but great never the less.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Several years ago we drew the Group hunt for the wilderness hunt at Salt Plains. It was the first time in 45 years that a hunt had been put on in that part of the refuge. The archers spent an hour there and said it was unhuntable. The BP guys spent a day there and left.
We were the rifle guys, and spent out 2 1/2 days there. It was miserable. Salt cedars so thick you had to crawl through them, mixed with cattail swamps that choked you with the pollen.
I managed to take a doe that was 9 1/2 yrs old. It was taken a mile from our camp and it took 8 hours to get it out. I would sign up for the hunt again, but would do it different.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts