Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well tonights cooler weather had the deer moving this evening! I finally saw a few in the field here by the house. There were 5 total, 3 does, one fawn (still in spots) and one half rack spike. The spike was about 9 or so inches long and looked like he was out of velvet.
The only thing that has me worried is that I have pictures of a good half rack (if there is such a thing). I just figured one side was broke off, but I never had a good, close pic of his head to see if it was slick or broke off. Do you think the half rack thing could be bad genetics or am I just worrying too much?
Here is the half rack from last year for kicks and giggles.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
Don't see the pic.

I wouldn't worry about it so much. Now if you find its the same buck and he is sporting a spike half rack two years in a row. I'd use a tag and get rid of him. They say spikes are bad and won't grow big but I think most are late season births and just didn't a chance to grow much. I recall one hunting trip I saw 14 different spikes in the same area in just a couple hours time. Most all were 6" and under and all small deer.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Not uncommon for one to lose a side when they are in velvet and soft.

I was at the farm last night. Right at dusk, there were a dozen or so does, and one might big buck. The buck stood beside the road looking at me until, I got close, then took off through the milo field with the does.

As picky as I am on bucks, he would have met my requirments for a wall hanger. ;D

·
Registered
74 Posts
Not planning on heading back to my lease until the 30th. However I'm really anxious to see whats on the cameras.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, checked the cams again because I went out and planted a food plot, hopefull this little bit of rain we had gets it going!
I got a couple pics of the little one horn spike, turns out he has two antlers, one side is just about two inches tall! Now I am wondering if he isn't just a great button buck??

Attachments

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Well, still no pics of the monster.

Are you using photobucket?

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
For me, anyway, photobucket is the easiest to post on the forums.
Hover the mouse over the pic without clicking, and several selections will show up. For me the bottom one says "img code". Copy it, and paste it into the forum. No need to click on any of the forum helps. If your still having problems, let me or BullBuster know, and we will talk you through it. ;D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts