Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
14,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cleaning out the boat and putting chargers on batteries tonight walking all over the place around the back of the boat when seeing motion just a few feet away.
Copperhead was slithering into my shop.
Spotted a little of the tail, pinning it with a square point shovel. Used the other hand to move some more tools out of the way to expose it, grabbing another square point shovel to start the carnage process. Young one about 12” long.

·
Super Moderator
10,998 Posts
Good thing you spotted it before it spotted you.

·
Administrator
14,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No kidding. I’m always digging around in there for something

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
I just read on Facebook and the local paper a story about a lady in Bethel who woke up early last Friday morning with a small copperhead on her arm. Her husband saw it just in time to slowly get it off her arm and into a plastic bag. I'd of been new mattress shopping by noon that day.

·
Administrator
14,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ve killed several in the past few weeks, they are thick this year. So are the ticks around my place as well as mosquitoes the size of chickens.
Good to see you back on the board!

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
I’ve killed several in the past few weeks, they are thick this year. So are the ticks around my place as well as mosquitoes the size of chickens.
So much for the "hard winter kills pests" theory.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Thanks Dennis! Bird I was thinking the same after that 12 day stretch of cold that killed all my water lines and drained my propane tank I’m seeing more ticks this year than I have maybe the past three and the mosquitoes are vicious with quite an appetite

·
Super Moderator
10,998 Posts
Thanks Dennis! Bird I was thinking the same after that 12 day stretch of cold that killed all my water lines and drained my propane tank I’m seeing more ticks this year than I have maybe the past three and the mosquitoes are vicious with quite an appetite
Where’s there’s 1 tick there’s a 1k chiggers. I hate those little bastards!! So glad we don’t have them here.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Neighbors kids are 7 and 10. They along with another boy who is also 7 were helping work calves the other day and after their attention spans they started exploring around their the outside of the pens. They found a shady spot that was knee deep Bermuda grass that hadn’t been grazed. All 3 shaded up in that grass for about 30 minutes. The 2 neighbor kids dad sent me a picture of his boys in their undies with literally hundreds upon hundreds of chigger bites. Waist lines, arm pits, butt cracks, ankles and feet where socks covered and groins were completely covered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
14,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Man, those kids are going to be miserable for a week or so.
I think a steroid shot makes them quit itching sooner?

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
My mother used to make me take a bath with Lysol liquid added to the bathwater. Johnson grass is where I'd get a ton of them.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Clear fingernail polish is supposed to 'choke out' the chigger that's buried underneath the skin. May need a couple of bottles for that many bites! We used to get them really bad when picking blackberries. Then decided to start duct taping our pants legs and spray with Off. No more shorts when picking berries!!

·
Super Moderator
10,998 Posts
Poor kids for sure. I took Dennis's advice several times and took a bleach rinse. Kids did it as well after being eaten up by chiggers.

·
Administrator
14,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yep, put two capfuls of bleach (a little less than 1/4 cup into a quart of warm water, use a wash cloth to spread the mix on all but the face and the most sensitive areas.

·
Super Moderator
10,998 Posts
Yep, put two capfuls of bleach (a little less than 1/4 cup into a quart of warm water, use a wash cloth to spread the mix on all but the face and the most sensitive areas.
Don’t overdo it either. I learned that the hard way. Nearly ended up with bleach burns.

Reactions: Bird (this time)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Got I. Late last night and went down getting the eggs when I opened the door I couldn’t find any chickens or eggs but had three snakes in the boxes the biggest was about 5ft long and had one of our 5 month old chicks head in it’s mouth. A little shovel work took care of it. Snakes are bad around the ponderosa this year.

·
Super Moderator
10,998 Posts
Neighbor had about a 3’ rattler in there chicken coop this morning. He asked me if I wanted the skin off it until he found out 3 prices his wife chopped it into took care of it lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts