Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crappie season is right around the corner,need to clean my fishing equipment and change the fishing line.
Do all of my Crappie fishing on Skiatook lake being its, not to far from my house, I mainly fish Turkey Creek,might try other parts of the lake if our fishing hole becomes less productive.

We caught this mess of fish during the night last year in July.

These was caught during the spawn in Turkey creek in April.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I always use small minnows from Woody,s Bait off of 209 exit on highway 412.

I was buying my bait from Blackdog off of highway 20 but they closed business several years ago.

The tree I fish from by boat is in 35' to 40 ' of water and I keep a coffee can full of rabbit pellets surmerged down 5' to attract baitfish on a regular baises during crappie season.

Tried crappie jigs in the past at our hole and only had limited success in catching slabs so I use them as a last resort.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Are those Hybrids? Hard to tell sometimes by the stripes unless one can see the twin tongue patches.

Used to fish Skiatook all the time, and stay over there for a couple of days doing it.
I didn't know blackdogs went out of business. I thought they were a pretty good place. We caught lots around the bridge, but mainly were bass fishing. Used to do the tournament thing, but finally quit as it became work and not fun. Beautiful lake with lots of clear water.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dennis,they are sandies,I sure miss Blackdog,it was not too far from the boat ramp at Osage Point and was easier to keep the minnow's alive until we reached our fishing spot.

I never fished under the bridge yet,going to give it a try some day,bet it would be good for sandies at night.

Yes,Skiatook is a beautifull lake,it has always been one of my top lakes for fishing.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
I know at one time they were trying to keep the sandies out of the lake.
The ODW did not stock them but from what I heard private fishermen brought them from other lakes.
They wanted a lake with out them to see how it effected the other fish populations.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
All this talk about fishing...I'm pumped.
I got all the reels re-spooled & it time to go get another 10 pound hawg this season.

All the best to y'all this season of fishing.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Skiatook lake is full of sandies now,especially in Hominy Creek,i,m thinking about tryin it for sandies next weekend to see if I can catch some early spawners!!

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
There have some been staging at the bridges at Kaw when there is a current flow from discharges at the Hydro at the dam.
Won't be long when they will move up into the creeks.

·
Vendor
171 Posts
You've got a nice mix of black and white crappie there...most of what we catch on Grand here are whites with a few blacks here and there. Both taste the same to me though, I don't discriminate. :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks usfwc,same at Skiatook,mainly we catch white crappie,whenever we do catch a black crappie,they are usually bigger then the whites. I thought for a long time, black crappie was the male fish untill a fishing buddy told me they was a different species of crappie from white crappie.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Has anyone tried to use crappie nibbles with jigs? I use them with about the same luck as a live minnows.Sometimes I will put 2 jigs on and put a minnow on the bottom hook and use a crappie nibble on the top.I catch about as many on the top hook as the bottom one.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ibokie,I,m going to try your ideal this spring, there has been times we have run out of minnows early in the morning hours and would look for dead minnows in the bottom of the boat for bait,I have caught some crappie on jigs where we fish but I have never added the nibbles with the jigs,thanks for the info. ;)

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
I recently started using the nibbles after fishing from a marina last year. another guy had some and was catching the crappie left and right. We caught a few. After he left, there were some on the dock, so I put one on and started catching. ;D

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
I'm ready to hit the water as well. May take a break for a bird then back to the water. Also been looking into a john boat.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I,m sold on nibbles from the two comments in here on how good they are ,from now on when I go crappie fishing,I will have nibbles in my tackle box..Is there a certian color or flavor that works better then others?

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Jon-boat you say their Bull.
Cool.Hope ya get one.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
I,m sold on nibbles from the two comments in here on how good they are ,from now on when I go crappie fishing,I will have nibbles in my tackle box..Is there a certian color or flavor that works better then others?
The only one I've used was the yellow that the guy left on the dock. I'll probably get a couple of jars of different colors though.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I have tried all of the colors and had the best luck with Chartreuse color.
When I first used them my dad said he could do better with his hand tied jigs.
We fished a pond with good numbers of crappie in it.I used crappie nibbles with regular
jiggs and dad used his.I caught 5 to 1 standing next to each other.He borrowed some
of my nibbles and caught 1 to 1, after that he always had nibbles in his tacklebox.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
I have tried all of the colors and had the best luck with Chartreuse color.
When I first used them my dad said he could do better with his hand tied jigs.
We fished a pond with good numbers of crappie in it.I used crappie nibbles with regular
jiggs and dad used his.I caught 5 to 1 standing next to each other.He borrowed some
of my nibbles and caught 1 to 1, after that he always had nibbles in his tacklebox.
That has been my one and only experience. But! crappie season is on again. :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts