Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,833 Posts
Nice haul of crappie. You certainly have figured them out on the waters you fish.

Reactions: dennishoddy

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Headed out Thursday with Dusty Keener on Lake Eufaula. Just the wife and I. Looking forward to it.
Take pics and let us know how you did.
Later this week, we are heading out to upper Kaw lake. The blue cat are moving to the shallows to spawn. Lots of rod and reel activity going on now.
We are going to try drifting the flats using the crappie scrap left over after cleaning them.

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We are going to try the beaver creek flats first and if nothing happens there, probably move over to the bear creek area.

·
Super Moderator
10,833 Posts
My brother got into the blues up in the flats yesterday and absolutely got wore out. Fish were biting the second bait hit bottom. Said he didn’t even think about trying to fish with 2 poles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That’s as good a fishing trip as you could want. Had a few hour stretch like that many years ago in Alaska while halibut fishing. They would hit it before it hit bottom.

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The crappie scraps were pretty productive this afternoon.
Went North of Washunga on the flats and ended up with 9 blues. Biggest about 4 lbs. the rest 2.5 - 3 lbs. Great eating size.
We couldn’t pattern them. Some at 3’ depth and some at 10’.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
We had a great trip-both of us limited out. 37 for here, 37 for me. plus I got three sand bass.

We were very pleased with our Guide Dusty Keener. Got us on fish from the start. We never moved all morning. We tried to book a trip in June, but he is booked until the end of July. We will go back out then with him.

·
Super Moderator
10,833 Posts
I think hers are bigger lol. Nice batch of fish!

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Heck of a mess of crappie! congrats on the trip. Your guide did you good.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Nice catch the wife caught a good slab
I think hers are bigger lol. Nice batch of fish!
Ahahahaha! Jokes on you guys. That fish is indeed the biggest fish we caught. There were several other big one. Once caught the fish went in the live well. Back at the dock we both claimed that fish. So we took picture of us both holding it, she of the left side, me of the right. I forgot to do the fisherman's pose when she took my picture. But had her hold the fish out in front of her closer to to the camera for her shot.

I suppose when we go back in July we will need to keep closer tabs on the fish for you guys. :)

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
And we had a mess deep fried crappie last night along with the three sand bass. Next time we'll toss the sand bass, back. Crappie were awesome. Sand bass isn't.

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And we had a mess deep fried crappie last night along with the three sand bass. Next time we'll toss the sand bass, back. Crappie were awesome. Sand bass isn't.
Did you fillet the red meat off the sand bass? If any of it remains on the fish it will give a fishy taste to the meat. Takes a bit of prep work.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Yes cleared all the red off. I think the problem was we had crappie with bass. Our taste buds were comparing and the bass lost.

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Definitely two different types of fish.
I actually prefer sand bass on the grill.

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good evening today. Ended up with 24 crappie and three eating size red ear perch. On ice now. Will fillet in the morning.

Reactions: Bird (this time)
1 - 20 of 23 Posts