Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a bunch come in this morning. Closer than my last one. Boom, didn't go down. Boom, didnt go down, are u kidding me , boom again, it hobbled off. I know I hit him good every time. He crossed road and went onto next property. I looked good and never found him.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Sounds like its time to pattern the shotgun again?

I went out this evening after work, and saw two in a fallow corn field about 1/2 mile away. Couldn't tell what they were, as I left my binocs at home.
Hot footed it through the river bottom, to ambush them, but they were gone when I got there, and would not gobble to a call. :'(

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
Ya know smoke it helps if you shoot real turkeys and not decoys. The real ones tend to die when hit as the decoys will just blow away with the wind.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
I highly recommend pattern testing.
I do it every season with every shotgun I own.
Keep the data you get & review it before hitting the woods.

We all know that every shotgun patterns differently.

Also, switch to "Hevi-Shot" -{Hevi-13 Turkey Loads}....I still haven't seen one flop around after the shot. Use the #7shot.
It hits as hard as #5 copper plated lead & you get a bigger swam of pellets with a higher density. 60 yard kill shots are common.
3" 2 oz #7 or 3 1/2" 2 1/4oz #7 shot.
You get what you pay for ;) .

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did pattern it and it worked great on the first one. I was using the same exact loads too. I think he was wearing body armor. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Hopefully your next thunder chicken will go lights out.

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
I did pattern it and it worked great on the first one. I was using the same exact loads too. I think he was wearing body armor. ;)

Thats what all the classic missers say. Now could you see the pellits hit the ground? Maybe someone pulled a fast one on you and gave you blanks.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep. Saw all 3 hits in the dust

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
The big question i have is what were you aiming at? the head like you should, or the body which is not a good idea. you really do need to use Hevi shot it is deadly ive killed LOTS of turkeys and they will not go anywhere with heavy shot. I killed one 2 years ago at 76 yards and he never even flipped a wing he went straight down

1 - 10 of 10 Posts