Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Vendor
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So who all is planning on some type of deer camp this year. I now hiteckredneck, handcannon, movieman45, and cheersniper have thought about setting up a campsite at one of our little haunts and just wanted to see what everyone else was thinking of.

Michael

·
Administrator
13,579 Posts
Deer camps are legendary.
When a kid, my uncle who was my hero invited me to their deer camp in Osage county in the 60's. It was just a big barn that had lots of cots and no privacy. As rumors go, and in that day deer huntin tech was not like it is now, as there were almost no deer around. This was around Hominy Ok. When the stand hunting didn't work, the walkers took over

Somebody had caught up on the rumor that Deer loved Onions, so all these guy left and went to town to buy onions. They threw them out every where, and guess what? The deer didn't come either.

There were poker games that went on into the night. Its Deer Camp

I've never had a "deer camp" but in visiting with those that have........I'm Jelous.

·
Registered
711 Posts
If we do not get drawn for a hunt we go to public land and hunt.Usually 3 days sometimes 4 allot of fun.I guess you could call that (deer camp).We have been to Hulah,Kaw,Black Kettle,McGee Creek and probably others I can't think of.Killed deer off of all of them.

·
Administrator
13,579 Posts
You've been to Kaw and didn't let me know? Next time you up this way let me know, and I'll come out and visit. I promise to not tell where your at. I hunt private ground 50 miles away, so you won't have to worry about me coming in on you.

My hunting buddy came from Georgia, about 10 years ago. His wife and mine have been friends for 40 years. He was a sales guy for the company, and she worked in Ponca. They met and moved to Georgia for 10 years, and then the company sold the unit he worked for so they moved back here.
He told me about the hunting camps in the Appalachians where generations of hunters came and went in the same cabin, and about the stories that were told when he was a kid, and then when he grew up and was one of the hunters. There were pictures that were Black and white of deer on the meat pole, and the hunters that took them on the smoke stained walls. When he was younger, he had to carry bags of sugar to the stills making illegal whisky.

Don't want to carry sugar, but my buddy and I have sure wanted to find a place where we could put a cabin and start a tradition. My land is pretty much out of the picture as its all wheat field, but we're always looking.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Dennis,I will let you know the next time we go to Kaw.I think we have narrowed it down to Black Kettle or McGee Creek this year.

·
Vendor
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you two would like pm me and you can have a pot of stew at the deer camp this year. Dennis has been to a location close to it. Last year on opening day of BP we saw 13 does, so it has a lot of potenial early on.

Michael

·
Vendor
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well guys and gals we are loading up in the morning and going to look at the lease and maybe get a few tree rats in the process.

We are also going to start planning for Deer Camp this year.

Everybody jump in and give us some ideas.

Michael

·
Registered
711 Posts
We take food that is pre cooked or a can of dinty more stew,allot of snacks(deer jerky).We don't spend time cooking,we are either hunting or resting.Have plenty of light,you can't have enough light.

·
Administrator
13,579 Posts
I can appreciate taking ready to eat food, but I love taking lots of food and eating like a king. I like to cook, so its not a biggie with me. I have a battery powered rotisserie that works great to put a pork butt, or a chicken over a fire at noon, and when I come back in, its done and ready to eat. Baked spuds wrapped in foil, and corn wrapped in foil and buried in the coals work too. Sometimes we make hobo dinners. Thats venison burger, sliced potatoes, sliced carrots, sliced bell pepper, and some jalepeno's along with salt and pepper. We add butter or olive oil, wrap them into individual servings, and set them on the coals for about 15 minutes on each side. Most all of it can be made at home and just popped into the fire. A big old cast iron dutch oven works wonders with ham and beans, or backstrap stew over a campfire, everything prepared ahead of time. Its the best if you can find the extra heavy duty foil. Don't spare the $ getting the cheap stuff. Its sickening to watch your whole dinner fall out of cheap foil back into the ashes when you taking it out.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
I agree with that one Dennis...I love to cook & eat like a king as well.
The extra heavy duty foil is the only way to go.

·
Vendor
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Man I had forgotten about hobo stew. We used to make that in the scouts. That is some really good stuff there.

Michael

1 - 11 of 11 Posts