Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dont know how I missed this, but we can check our deer online at wildlifedepartment.com. Although I cant seem to get their site to open. Probably crashed already from to many hunters using it. Am I the last to know this? Just thought Id pass along for others as slow as me. ;) ;D

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats a good question. Dont see how they could. Dont see a need for check stations anyways. Most other states dont have them. Just like you have to check a turkey East of I35, but not West. Thats dumbest thing I ever heard.

·
Registered
31 Posts
man that's a poachers dream right there lol they can shoot anything then check it n and b legal.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont see how states like Louisiana, Alabama and such keep track of their harvest when you can shoot a buck a day and not have to check anything.

·
Registered
918 Posts
the turkeys is to see if its a eastern or rio as far as poachers its no different then them taking it to the check station and saying yea its a bowkill or whatever

·
Registered
31 Posts
yeah true. I went with a buddy when he checked n a doe he shot with his bow about a week after muzzleloader ended and the guy at the check station said so u killed it with a muzzleloader we said "no a bow, muzzleloader been over for about a week now".

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
Most states have a check system. Usually a Gov official has to sign the tag is all (CA is that way). In Va we could call them in and get the tag number to write on the license.

Keep in mind your alloted so many tags and yes if you shoot a buck and claim it to be a doe your still down 1 tag. So if you shoot allot of deer in a season then you will run out in the system at some point.

Being I haven't taken any deer here in OK. I don't know how the in person check thing goes. In VA they took a jaw bone for age stats.

But i'd sure like to find out.

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
poachers are going to be poachers, and no matter what system is used, somebody will always get around it. This system is cheaper for the state, as the manual check station data that is written down, has to be entered into a computer system by a human. Maybe they can use the money saved to start a public walk in area program like Kansas has.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I think the on-line thing is pretty good..I know the people at the check station I use here in town don't even come out and see the animal...The hunter does the weighing, and all the paper work.I figure a guy could check in a possum and they would never know...all they furnish is the scales and most of the time they are already broken. As far as the jaw bone, the only time I ever had that done was at a state controlled hunt..I have hunted in states in the past that only sent out a survey after the season and once the state of Wy. called a few weeks after season with a survey. Anything that can save a few dollars to be used somewhere else has to be good...Like Dennis said...Poachers will always find a way to be poachers...SORRY SUCKERS..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts