Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my OK house a couple years ago, it came with a deer hanging frame built out of 4x4 post, but due to it being out in the weather for several years, it had started to rot. I ended up taking it down this year, and I’ve been planning to build one out of steel. I’d been looking for some steel pipe on FB market place and Craigslist, but I just hadn’t found exactly what wanted. My brother called me about two weeks ago and told me he was cleaning out my Dad’s old barn, and he wanted to know if I had a need for some steel pipe. Oh hell yeah!!! I ended up with thirteen 21 foot joints of 1.75” heavy wall.
Well, I finally got off my lazy ass today and started building the frame, and it‘s turning out better than I anticipated. I don’t consider myself a “welder”, but I do have the ability to burn welding rods and make metal stay together. It ain’t pretty though.
The frame is 10 feet 9.5 inches tall which should be plenty high enough to get a mature NW OK buck completely off the ground with just my gambrel, but I’m not sure if it high enough for weighing. My scale is 19 inches long. The frame is 44.5 inches between the frame legs, and I have 5 foot “feet“ on the bottom, so it will be somewhat movable.
I already have a winch and cable, but I have to make a Tractor Supply run tomorrow for a couple eye bolts and a pulley.
I’ll post pictures when I get it all put together.

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
My old place back in OKC, I’d cut a 6”x6” hole in my garage ceiling and installed a metal bar to the roof tresses. I attached a block & tackle to the bar and hoisted my deer that way. Don’t have that luxury here. Looking forward to seeing the final results of your project.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Don't go to Tracker supply, .357 Mag brass comes free with you choice of block and tackle with gambrel

Three pre rig black and tackles and 4 gambrels-2 home made and two commercial. Home made have been used on Whitetail, Mule deer and elk. You can have one whole set with the. 357 brass. I'll never use them again.

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
I have one of the harbor freight electric winches hanging in the rafters of the shop. Lifts them right up.
That skid steer at the ok place?

Reactions: retrieverman

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seems like it would lift the deer just fine itself!
It will, but it‘s at my house in TX. However, I have a 70 hp Kubota at my OK house that will lift a deer too, but I like to have a designated place set up for deer cleaning. I’m now figuring on how to attach lights to the frame for evening/night work.

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
Nice setup. I’m betting it gets used many many times.

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
No, but it can be. You need some work done? I’ve got an extreme duty brush mower and grapple for it.
No, don’t need it. Just thought I’d it was at the Ok place you could use the bucket for a hoist to skin out a deer

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is it strong enough hanging the deer there?
This is actually the same question my youngest son asked when I sent him a picture, and all I can say right now is that it will hold me. Of course, the buck I killed last years weighed 100 pounds more than me, so the best I can do at this point is hope for the best or get a fat friend or my wife to hang on it.;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts