Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just talked to our buddy Dennis down at the Big Mac hunt..He's got his stands all set up on an acorn patch and all he and his buddy have to do is wait until morning..He said they seen probably 50 deer today doing their scouting and so I'm betting they will see plenty tomorrow as well..anyway..the main thing is they had no rain today ( it rained all day here ). He and his buddy are set up in a really nice cabin..was cooking pork chops when I talked to him and probaby going to have a beverage of choice later on. He can harvest a big buck or not even get a shot and he has already had a successful hunt. Anyway..I'll talk to him tomorrow night and post another report on the Hunt From Big Mac..

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
All the best to ya buddy.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I talked to Dennis again last night. It seems all they got yesterday was 4 inches of rain. They did get to go out around 2 pm and they saw several does and 3 bucks..none of the bucks were within range. I'm betting today will be a little different story. Temp in the middle 30's with a clear sky...I'm putting my money on my Buddy Dennis before the hunt is over...I'll keep yawl posted...Sasakwa

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
cool,keep us posted.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Talked to our Buddy last night and he harvested a doe yesterday. By taking a doe he already has a pass for next year in his hand..man..what a deal! He was talking about reserving his cabin for next year while he was there...I figure this is a pretty good reason for taking a doe..anyway...thanks Dennis for the phone calls and allowing me to give your reports on the forum..

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Im headed there Wednesday after work to get camper set up. Hope we have better luck than we did last year. It sucked last year was to hot and never even drew back on anything. Mainly because we saw nothing, even at a distance. Im hoping since its going to be cooler our luck will change.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
I got back today, and we had a really great hunt. Only got the one doe, with a 25 yd shot, but late yesterday afternoon after 14 hours in the stand,(I read an entire James Patterson novel) a massive buck came up the trail, and was sniffing the acorn rage that I had put out to stop any deer coming thru my shooting lane. The wind was calm, but shifting back and forth on occasion. He wasn't a booner, but would certainly make Pope and Young. Really massive in the bases. I was shaking like a leaf, and all he had to to was take two steps to clear a limb that I couldn't reach with my saw. 40 degrees, and the sweat was rolling off of me, and he just stood there looking at the little pile......and he just stood there, and stood there...
Finally turned and walked out of my sight. By that time I needed a paper sack to breathe into for hyperventilation. :'( :'(
I went and talked to my buddy that went with me, and he told me that each morning he had been seeing a sow with 6 little ones in a clearing. He had been seeing lots of does and small bucks where he was at.
After a day and a half on the stand, I was so sore that sitting another half a day in that stand was not going to happen. As the hunt was over at noon today, I managed to crawl up there and spent three hours in a heavy drizzle, without seeing anything. My buddy called me on his cell and said the pig was back. I asked him why he didn't go after it, and he wasn't interested, so I got down and hobbled the 1/4 mile to his area, and spotted the pig. All black, and would weigh about 70 lbs or so. They were feeding on persimmons, and had a nice grassy area that would allow me to slip around them. and get close.
The stalk took about 20 minutes in the drizzle, and I found a gap in the brush. 15 yds away she was broadside to me feeding, but I needed to take one more step to get above the brush, and a bramble caught my foot, and caused a stumble. :mad: She looked up, and they were gone in a flash. :'(
So, No antlers, and no bacon, but we ate like kings, and got in a great hunt in an area that neither of had been. The quality pass for taking a doe will allow me to go back next year to hunt the same area, and at the same time.
They have two biologist on staff there, and with their recommendations, they set up some rules for the hunters. Each year its different to get a quality pass to come back without going thru the drawing.
This year they said that IF you stick a doe you get a quality pass, or IF you stick a buck on your first deer that is greater than 112" they will give the hunter an either sex tag for the second deer. If the second is a doe, the hunter gets a quality pass. IF the hunter takes a pig, they will get a quality pass.
The guy that runs the hunt said that taking a pig to get a pass was good last year too, and a guy brought in a tiny piglet that he had ran down and picked up. Tied its legs together and brought it in. He got a quality pass ;D
I donated my doe to the Hunters Feeding the Hungry Program, they had going. She was so old that the two biologist and a couple of game rangers couldn't figure out how old she was.

As far as proof of taking my doe, I don't have a picture as getting caught in with a camera is extremely expensive, and could result in something worse. The only thing I have is my quality pass card with my name on it. I can post a pic of it for the hunting contest if its OK with Guage. If not, no big deal on my part.

A bonus for the trip was that I got to stand next to a MOAB. The Mother of All Bombs :eek:
They have one set up in front of the Head Quarters building. They won't allow any pics of it, but its HUGE :eek: Pity the poor fool that gets one of these dropped on them. :eek:

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Know what you mean on the MOAB. I'd hate to be anywhere near one of those things when they go boom. Congrads on the hunt and I'd say you ought to get credit for the doe. Wouldn't want to have to bail ya out of prison for a lil contest now would we?!?!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Congrats Dennis, I am going down there Wen. morning and hope to have a great time.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Congrate's Dennis.
Take a photo of your pass & add it up to your points.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Im headed there Wednesday after work to get camper set up. Hope we have better luck than we did last year. It sucked last year was to hot and never even drew back on anything. Mainly because we saw nothing, even at a distance. Im hoping since its going to be cooler our luck will change.
Good luck on your hunt! What area did you draw? You told us awhile back, but, I'm getting old and my memory isn't what it use to be ::) ;D

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Great job Dennis... Sure was exciting to hear your updates. I will be there this weekend. Cant wait to post my updates.
It was short and the scouting takes a little homework from those that have been there before, as they don't let you wander at will to try and find a place. The rules are strict as they should be. What area did you draw?

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Congrats Dennis, I am going down there Wen. morning and hope to have a great time.
Thats amazing that four people from this forum got drawn for this hunt. :eek:

Did any of you put in for a group hunt?
I really liked staying in the cabins, with the nice showers and big screen TV, but I'm not so sure that I wouldn't have had a better experience staying in the camp grounds. I only have a tent, but its fun mingling with the other hunters, and having the big campfire that never goes out at the hunt HQ. Didn't know there is a laundry-mat at the camp site. We went off post to do laundry.

Here is a big warning for those that have not been there.(Those that have know what I'm talking about).
When you pull in the gate they searched every vehicle for ammo, guns, drugs, or any of the illegal contraband they list on the web site. They don't cut any slack.

They did allow us to take our cell phones into the hunt areas for a safety factor. They warned us to not take any pics with the cell phone camera's. Sure as heck, some idiot did, and as we pulled into the campfire area to turn in our permits, they were checking a guys cell phone camera files.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was drawn into the Hominy area, I have been there before but not to this area, if anyone has a clue I would appreciate the help.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Its tuesday evening for me, but what area did you get?

Good luck! I've heard stories about the tick and skeeters, so I used permanone and had no ticks or chiggers. One chigger bite. The weather should give you some great hunting. Hope you stick a biggun! ;D
We are waiting for your report ;D

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am here at McAlester AAP and the deer are everywhere

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Since you drew Hominy, go to the perimeter fence on the west side, and walk the perimeter road on your scouting day if you have time. Some of the civilian land has hunt leases and so forth that have feeders out. Its just a barbed wire fence, and the deer can cross freely. Find where they are crossing and find an ambush point. Its amazing how many deer are just inside the gate just laying around when you drive thru. I saw one turkey that(strike me with lightning if I'm lying) that had a beard touching the ground when he was walking upright. My buddy and I both saw it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts