Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got stuck babysitting the girls this morning :).

My new Bushnell DMR II from Camera Land came in, so I was busy trying to figure out which FN SPR that I was going to mount it to and if it would be worth the effort of swapping on the one rifle if need be. I have a Burris XTR II on one of them, and was curious how it stacked up.

It crossed my mind that I have a Bushnell LRTS (same glass quality as DMR) already mounted, so I stuck the rifles side-by-side outside and looked at some blackberry bushes at 200 yards. This is uber-informal testing at best, and is extremely subjective...however my eyes, my rifles, and my scopes, so it works for me. Your mileage may vary.

20210714_101745.jpg

Please bear in mind that objective sizes are different (50mm vs 44mm), so I had the Bushnell on 13x and Burris at 15x for part of this as that made the exit pupil close between them. In bright daylight, I couldn't tell enough difference in brightness and clarity to make a statement towards either. Same when both were at 15x. I do think there is just a bit more chromatic aberration in the Burris, but no "a-ha!" difference. I'll need to do this again at dusk as im curious about low-light capability. Again glass quality is highly subjective, so while I saw virtually no difference someone else may see otherwise.

Then I removed the rifle with the Bushnell LRTS, and laid down with the new Bushnell DMR II in hand and compared that with the Burris, both at 15x (50mm objective lenses on both). Perhaps a teeny tiny edge goes to the Bushnell? I really couldn't tell...and if I were buying glass quality only, I'd get whichever was $25 cheaper...they're that close. CA was better on the Bushnell (in that it had less).

I will say that the Burris XTR II has the best eyebox by probably 25%. That was the most noticeable difference in any of the "testing". The LRTS was the worst of the three, but not bad by any means compared to some others I've had/used. Both the XTR II and the LRTS have been perfect for me in repeatability while shooting...so that is a wash. The tactile feel of the adjustments were all extremely close too. Reticle preference would probably be the largest factor if I had to buy another.

Then, for grins I brought out a ca. 2015 Leupold Mark 4, 10x that is on my M24R (return sniper rifle). I compared it to just the Burris, both at 10x to keep things sort of even. I did see a bit of difference there in clarity...but it wasn't breathing or even real noteworthy...maybe a couple percent, just enough to notice in favor of the Burris.

20210714_101757.jpg

So what do you get from all this apples to oranges testing? Nothing really unless you own one of these scopes and was curious about the other.

Both the Bushnell DMR II and Burris XTR II have gen 3 replacents available (Bushnell just announced). Not surprisingly, they are closely priced again.

I wouldn't hesitate to take any of them out hunting either...you just better have ate your Wheaties if you plan on walking much.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have Vortex, recommended Vortex before.

Depends on what you want. I'm looking at trying out their Razor HD LHT next year.

The original Viper lines were awesome for $400 scopes. My dad still has one.

The Viper PST line was pretty good for the dollar, but they had their fare share of tracking issues. Not that it HAS to be dead on in a $1K scope, but some were 10% off...that and competitors from other brands like the Burris and Bushnell got it right.

The Razor HD II are anvils. The 3-18 model weighs 46oz...that's like having a 4" S&W on your rifle.

Warranty is top notch.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Everyone brags on the warranty to the point of it being why they got it. Last scope I purchased it was a vortex or Nikon think maybe I should have gone with the vortex I’m not impressed with the Nikon at all.
I'm trying to remember the last time Nikon spent anytime on new product development. Everything is just a slightly revamped something older. They had good glass back in the day, but I have never heard anyone brag about their mechanical reliability...or their warranty service.

Leupold sat on their accomplishments for almost a decade while the industry developed around them, and it darn near destroyed them. Nikon must have hired their project manager directly from Leupold.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Nikon is out of the scope business.
I have 4 of their scopes. All the Monarch line in 50mm objective which I’ve always bragged on for light gathering capabilities and clarity.
Also have a couple of Vortex Strike eagles that are good glass as well.
Never had a reason to warranty any brand I own, so can’t speak about that.
I think one of my favorite scopes is a Bushnell Prism that is no longer manufactured. Its on a Win Pre 64 Classic in .270. Amazing clarity.
The wood on that rifle is so beautiful I’m almost afraid to take it out of the safe to hunt with it.

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
I have a couple Bushnell, Nikon, Vortex and Leupold scopes. Honestly my Simmons is my favorite. Had it on my 7mm Mag for 20 years and it still has the original zero set.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I hear folks cutting down budget priced scopes all the time and all I can say is if it works for you keep with it! My cousin swears by his Tasco scopes and prefers them over just about any other brand from what I’ve seen. He has had one on his Browning 06 for as long as I can remember and he can still hit dead on with it.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Scope are such a personal preference item that it's like buying boots over the internet. A scope that fits my eyes might be like looking thru a paper bag to you. I have a couple of higher end Leopold scopes that seem crusty by some of the lower to mid range priced modern scope brands.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I hear folks cutting down budget priced scopes all the time and all I can say is if it works for you keep with it! My cousin swears by his Tasco scopes and prefers them over just about any other brand from what I’ve seen. He has had one on his Browning 06 for as long as I can remember and he can still hit dead on with it.
I have a BSA 3x9x50 on an old Winchester 223. That $39.99 scope has stayed clear and dialed in for over 25 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a BSA 3x9x50 on an old Winchester 223. That $39.99 scope has stayed clear and dialed in for over 25 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I've had four scopes crap out on me. Two cheaper Bushnell, a Simmons, and a BSA Sweet .22. Glad yours is holding up.

I don't abuse my stuff, that goes against everything life has taught me. But I do use it hard.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Budget scopes typically will last a long time as long as the user isn't messing with it too much (dialing elevation every time etc...).

I have a $189 (1993) Redfield Golden Five Star on my '06. I mowed lawns and did work in the neighborhood for 7-1/2 months to afford that '06 and scope. I was 14 at the time. I'll never separate that combo, or sell that rifle.

That scope has been adjusted once in 20 years, when I developed a handload for it. Otherwise it sits on that rifle at 6x and is not messed with at all. Still works as well as it did 30 years ago.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Scope are such a personal preference item that it's like buying boots over the internet. A scope that fits my eyes might be like looking thru a paper bag to you. I have a couple of higher end Leopold scopes that seem crusty by some of the lower to mid range priced modern scope brands.
Glass quality is extremely subjective. It is also to the point where current mid-tier scopes are just as bright and clear as top-tier ones 15 years ago as you mentioned. Bushnell is coming out with the Gen 3 DMR and XRS (?)...their claim to fame on these...2% more light transmission. I saved $150 over their professional pricing and got the older model. I'm fine with 2% less for $150 saved.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
How is that when it didn’t cost 2k what hunting show did you see it on to know you wanted it? Bird made a really good point! Like I said my cousin swears by tasco

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Basically any scope works great on a bright clear day, but in my experience, upper end scope separate themselves in the first and last 30 minutes of daylight.
That is why I went with the Nikon Monarch. The light gathering ability of that scope is tough to beat.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts